small leak under kitchen sink

• Thread starter charliebean
  • Start date
C

charliebean

Hi everyone,

I have a small leak which showed itself this morning with a small puddle on the kitchen floor. Opened the door and the dishwasher tablet box (cardboard) was soaked through.
Moved everything away and basically i have a cold and a hot water source for the washing machine under there. The cold is used and plumbed in. The hot isnt used and although the little tap is set to off, it is still letting a tiny amount of water past it which is the cause of the water leak.

How do i fix this? Can i buy a cap to thread onto it that will close it off? Or is there a easier/better solution.

Thanks in advance for all your help. much appreciated.
Joel

Sponsored Links
Probably best to remove the valve completely and put a 15mm stop end on hte nut and live.

Alternatively, buy 3/4" cap with a chubby fibre washer.

Simples.

Probably best to remove the valve completely and put a 15mm stop end on hte nut and live.

How do I do this without getting water everywhere? Just turn the water mains off at the tap first?

Depends on what system you have. If you have a combi boiler you can turn off your main stop cock that will stop the hot water, if you have a hot water cylinder you need to isolate the hot water in the airing cupboard usually via a gate valve, all depends on what isolation valves you have under the sink and where they are sited. Once you have done that drain the hot at the kitchen tap and then get a bucket or whatever will fit and open the old washing machine tap to release the rest of the water then fit your end stop.

Sponsored Links
right, thanks for your help.

There is a tap under the sink labeled "Mains water stopcock".

In the airing cupboard I have some other labeled taps including a "Mains water stop valve to hot water cylinder" one.

So, i need to turn both off?

I dont think id have any problem fitting a compression joint, but is there a downside to fitting one of these?

is a cheap one like this ok?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back