HELP! Wiring for New Hive Active - Replacing Danfoss Randall 102E7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am after some advice from the experts on here before I start changing anything. I have been given a HIVE ACTIVE 2 (Heating and water) and would like some wiring advice please.

My current setup is a pumped heating with gravity hot water as listed below.

Ikon 40-50 CI - Boiler
Danfoss Randall 102E7 - Timer
Honeywell CM907 - Thermostat

Hopefully I can just connect a junction box and use the existing wiring connecting to the HIVE? I have shown some pictures below to help I hope.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Pump.JPG
Danfoss 102.JPG
Hive.JPG
Timer BackPlate.JPG

Sponsored Links
Are you mounting the Hive receiver where the Danfoss Timer is now?

The Hive will need to be set to gravity Hot Water. The wiring is fairly simple.

Live(6) Neutral(5) & Earth from the mains supply cable in Danfoss go onto to the corresponding L and N terminals and Earth Tether in the Hive Backplate.

HW ON(1) in Danfoss moves across to 3 in the Hive.

CH ON(2) in Danfoss moves across to 4 in the Hive. ( Why are 2 cables connected here? )

All Earths to join up securely in Earth Tether.

(Terminals 1 & 2 in the Hive are not used in your system.)

The existing room stat will need to be bypassed so the Hive can take over as heating thermostat. Can you post a picture showing where the CM907 wiring is interconnected with the pump cable.

Last edited:

The wiring is very simple.

Live(6) Neutral(5) & Earth from the mains supply cable in Danfoss go onto to the corresponding L and N terminals and Earth Tether in the Hive Backplate.

CH ON(2) in Danfoss moves across to 4 in the Hive.

All Earths to join up securely in Earthe Tether.

Terminals 1 & 2 in the Hive are not used in your system.

Thanks for the info -

Yes I will mount the Hive Receiver where the Timer is now.

Dodgy connection under the upstairs landing is where the CM907 is connected - see attached picture. The black power cable on the left has 2 wires going to the CM907. The other black is going to the valve and the rest I would need to trace.

Hope it helps.

IMG_0131.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hard to make out the thermostat connections in the photos.

If there are only two wires in that cable to the thermostat they can simply be removed and replaced by a wire link across the two terminals they were connected to. The disconnected cable from the thermostat shouldn't then be carrying any high voltages but cover it up safely and maybe label it as a possible future backup.

Yes there are only 2 wires to the thermostat

"CH ON(2) in Danfoss moves across to 4 in the Hive. ( Why are 2 cables connected here? )" Not sure why there are 2 wires here but both are from the wall which go upstairs to the pump/valve?

No problem, I'm just curious because normally the wire from 2 in the Danfoss would head off towards the room thermostat. Move the two wires across together and the system should work as before, but under hive control.

Thanks for all your help, just finished fitting and seems to be working fine.

The Hive will need to be set to gravity Hot Water. The wiring is fairly simple.

CH ON(2) in Danfoss moves across to 4 in the Hive. ( Why are 2 cables connected here? )

All Earths to join up securely in Earth Tether.

(Terminals 1 & 2 in the Hive are not used in your system.)

The existing room stat will need to be bypassed so the Hive can take over as heating thermostat. Can you post a picture showing where the CM907 wiring is interconnected with the pump cable.

Incredibly, I have almost the exact same set up and am also installing the new Hive Active. Could you please advise as to what happens to with the live (red) cable which is currently bridging terminals 3 and 6 on the Danfoss ? Do they need to be moved to the Hive? if so which terminals?

Many thanks

Hi Jackthom,

I had almost given up on the idea of installing Hive to my oil fired central heating and pumped hot water system with a danfoss 102 programmer, until i saw your thread. Having followed your instructions my hive system is up and working so many thanks for the info.

The only issue is that the hot water has to be scheduled to be on at the same time as the heating otherwise the heating doesn't come on. Is there an easy way to get the heating to work in isolation? or does it have to be this way because the danfoss programmer only had 2 options ie water only or water and heating. There is no heating only option on the danfoss

Thanks

If your system is the same as the OP, the restriction is caused by the design of your plumbing, not the wiring. To have separate control of the heating and hot water you will need a fully pumped system with a motorised valve (or valves) to control where the water from the boiler goes. If you have a system the same as the OP, which is "Gravity DHW and Pumped Central Heating" you cannot have the heating 'on' without the hot water also being 'on'.

With this type of system.

1) Selecting 'Hot Water On' will switch only the boiler 'on' it will heat up and hot water will circulate naturally by convection to the hot water cylinder.

2) Selecting 'Heating On' will switch only the pump 'on' so water will circulate around the radiators but it won't be heated, unless the hot water is also on to operate the boiler.

So you can have two options. Hot water only, or hot water and central heating.

These systems can be converted to fully pumped. A search for 'Y Plan' will show you what is required.

Thanks stem.

I've changed the hive to gravity mode which seems to have done the trick. Now when the heating switches on both the HW and CH lights come on and the heating works, with both the CH and water being heated as with the danfoss programmer.............so i'm happy!

There is a motorised valve and the pump comes on in water only mode. I can hear the valve closing when the CH goes off. All seems to be ok now

There is a motorised valve and the pump comes on in water only mode. I can hear the valve closing when the CH goes off. All seems to be ok now

Looks like yours might be a bit of a hybrid. Fully pumped, but only with a motorised valve to control the central heating. This is usually (but not always) found in bungalows or flats because there isn't sufficient height for the gravity circulation, or if the pipes between the cylinder and boiler would have to follow a torturous route.

In this case:

1) Selecting 'Hot Water On' will switch the boiler and pump 'on' it will heat up and hot water will be pumped to the hot water cylinder.

2) Selecting 'Heating On' will open the motorised valve so hot water will now circulate around the radiators. The hot water still needs to be on operate the boiler and pump.

Hello sorry to bring this back to life but I have a similar system as described here, a danfoss 102e7 programmer and a back boiler with pumped ch and gravity fed wh, I just don't have a room thermostat. I am fairly competent with wiring, but if I get the hive self install is it as simple as replacing the danfoss timer mounting plate with the hive one then setting up th e hive thermostat where ever I want it?? Thanks in advanced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back