HELP! Wiring for New Hive Active - Replacing Danfoss Randall 102E7

Yes pretty much. The Hive would need to be set to 'gravity fed' mode which means you will have limited functionality because of your current antiquated system. As you don't have an existing thermostat to remove installation would be simpler. Although I'm not sure why you would want to do this, there are other improvements that could be made to the system first that would give greater benefit and same more energy than installing a Hive.

Sponsored Links
Antiqued I appreciated that, thanks for the reply. We are going to be getting a new boiler soon fingers crossed its rented so we are just waiting on the landlord. In the meantime I'm fed up if putting the heating on it getting boiling and just not being able to get a nice balance. Figured if I get hive a can take it with us at least when we leave.

Fair enough, understandable if it's not your system. Although if the landlord is fitting a new boiler soon, then the building regulations require that it will have to have a thermostat fitted then anyway. Also the other mods I referred to will also need to be done too as new boilers can't work with 'gravity fed' systems.

If you install the Hive and have it connected to the new boiler, then the landlord won't have to fit new controls, meaning that you would then have to buy a replacement for the Hive if you were then to leave and take it with you.

Good point I didn't think about the fact the old control system would no longer work , will have to plan for that one ie take the hive off before the new boiler is fitted

Sponsored Links
Hi, i have followed these instructions.Could anyone enlighten me as to why i would have a grey wire from the mains supply surplus and a blue one from the cable to the motorised valve?.
Help appriciated..im not competent in electrical wiring but willing to give it a go given guidence.

Unfortunately, heating systems can be wired up in a variety of ways, depending upon the layout of your home, the personal preferences of the installer and the cables used. So, what the OP that started this thread has may not represent what you have. If the blue wire is in the lead supplied with the motorised valve, it will be the neutral wire for the motor that opens the valve. The grey wire it's impossible to say, you would have to locate the other end to know that.

If you want any further help, I suggest that you start a new thread and provide full details of your existing system. The type of thing provided at the start of this thread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back