help with a ferroli pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning gents

please can anyone help with the following problem.

boiler- newly installed ferroli domi compact F30b combi

problem-when a hot water tap is turned on the boiler fires and the temp increases to 55 degrees. Then after 3 mins this temp falls to 25 degrees for approx 2mins then goes back up to 55 again for 3 mins. This cycle repeats for as long as the hot water demand is placed on the boiler.
Both the installer and a Ferroli engineer have attended and stated that it is not the boiler and they seem to have washed their hands of it.

Any input appreciated. Many thanks Si

Sponsored Links
It may be caused by cold water crossing over to the hot.

If you can find out how to turn off the cold water into the boiler then with that valve off nothing should be coming out of any hot tap!

There are many faults inside the boiler which can cause this problem but if the Ferroli engineer attended then he should have given you an indication of what the problem was likely to be.

It usually turns out to be a faulty shower or wrongly connected washing machine.

Tony

thanks for your reply Tony.

So it is more likely to be an installer error rather than a boiler problem. As the installer also did all the plumbing for the new bathroom and kitchen in the property this would seem the more likely option.

Cheers Si

Sponsored Links
OO, careful. It is likely to be a problem with a device that backfeeds cold water up the hot pipe, but I wouldn't go blaming the installer, blame the faulty part's manufacturer. This is as much a nightmare for the installer as it is for you, keep him on your side, stay on his side. It isn't going to be easy to fix, work with people don't get into the blame culture.

hi Paul,

you are right, having read my post it did sound a little 'pointy finger'. What I was meant to say was that it was more likely a problem on the install and materials, rather than the boiler and its components.

This is actually my brothers house and he has had no end of problems with all the trades on this refurb. Now he has moved in this is the icing on the cake!

If as you say Paul it is the device that backfeeds cold water up the hot pipe, where is this most likely to be located?

Thankyou for your patience for a newbee. Si

Agile said:
It may be caused by cold water crossing over to the hot.

If you can find out how to turn off the cold water into the boiler then with that valve off nothing should be coming out of any hot tap!

There are many faults inside the boiler which can cause this problem but if the Ferroli engineer attended then he should have given you an indication of what the problem was likely to be.

It usually turns out to be a faulty shower or wrongly connected washing machine.

Tony
Tony has given pointers.

Isolate cold feed to boiler, open a hot tap, run both hot and cold of any mono taps, shower, etc, when water comes out of hot tap you have found your prob. As Tony said can be boiler also, but eliminate system first.

Thanks Paul and Tony. This gas newbee appreciates your time and help.

I will try this tomorrow if nothing comes from the second visit by the Ferroli people that my brother has booked in.

I hope you realise this was a genuine enquiry and not a problem I have had on one of my installs!!!

When I finally get corgi registered I think I will stick with servicing and not touch installs. Although I appreciate that servicing can be a can of worms.

Thanks again Si

You'll probably have to do some installs, but the key is to expect these types of problems therefore factor in a price which means you can do a professional job but not work as a slave to achieve it. That means you end up amongst the most expensive, but basically vertually every job throws a curve ball at you which you didn't expect, meaning the figure you thought would be sufficient to pay you for 2 days has now got to last you 5 days.

Most of us here would answer your questions of a professional nature if you keep it civil and learn from what's said, and never use capitals.

Over on electrics UK they shut you down as soon as you open your trap. I went oin there for about five minutes and then ran for cover.

A couple of thoughts to throw in the pot >

Look out for Y pieces fitted the wrong way round on washing machines and faulty non return valves on modern mixer taps and showers.

Ferroli's in general seem to get through a disproportionally large amount of PCB's, temp sensors and DHW flow 'switches'

cheers Paul.

I know this is primarily a DIY forum, but as a newbee gasman, the availability of such good advice is too hard to resist. Since I have first posted, and asked very novice questions, I have had nothing but good professional advice and clear answers. This helps a person in my position no end and I really do appreciate it.

Don't think I will not keep asking stupid questions!! I will just make sure I have the CAPSLOCK off!

Thanks for the input Slugbaby. I will look for this when I visit my brothers tonight. Hopefully it will have been sorted by the second visit of the Ferolli engineer. I will update when I can for anyone interested.

Thanks again Si

I have two learners working for me, I am delighted when they ask stupid questions because it saves them making a stupid mistake instead.

I have plenty of stupid questions of my own.

What is good is to keep an open mind to peoples' abilities, they might not be as knowledgeable or experienced in our tiny little world but they may be vastly superior to us in other areas. One of my guys is a fitter used to working offsure in petrochemical industry. When I am giving him his off the job training required for competence he knows our field from another angle, likewise a pit deputy knows similar stuff. Both individuals can introduce skills to us which can be harnessed and directed.

The offsure fitter's (was in charge of 150 men) abilities with pipework far exceed mine, in the industrial arena and he has more than proved his worth with suggestions that have saved us a lot of wasted time and mistakes on jobs. Yet he has to ask me the most obvious questions when encountering something which to us is like falling off a log.

I particularly love to find the value in other people and see them enjoy recognition. On Saturday I went back with the required fan for a worceter we had first gone to on Friday together. The lady who was off sick with a breakdown (a teacher, nuff said) complemented me on how good they both were and made her feel at ease when she was climbing up the walls, and also how competently Matt (the offshore fitter) did a live swap over of our impromptu filling loop (they had lost their Worcester filling key, so we temporarily filled from the washing machine hose) to the blank in the top of the rad.

Paul Barker

Saying (a teacher, nuff said) is like saying plumber/central heating engineer robbing ba****d without knowing there outgoings and training,
a teacher went to uni for 4 years and got a degree also works 3 hours when they get home and on holidays have to do planning so its not as rosie as every one thinks just as much as all RGI'S drive BMW'S

All trades charge the going rate but teachers get what the council say.They dont get to put up charges as and when they want. I wish they were self employed and got the going rate .
Dont disrespect others.

A Teachers husband.

The lady who was off sick with a breakdown (a teacher, nuff said)
I dont see this as being disrespectful, more like sympathetic. If I had to deal with with what some teachers do I too would be having breakdowns.

A teachers uncle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back