Help with a leaking tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a monobloc tap on our kitchen sink (see pictured) The tap works but recently water has began springing from the area marked with a red arrow, about 20% of the water flow of an open tap.

Im sure this is an easy fix, this is a fairly standard tap set, probably a washer I would just like to hear opinions of what the most appropriate part is to buy? (I dont want to unscrew it and be left without a tap at all.) I hav no technical drawings of the assembly and have had a look online without any luck.

The neck seems to have 2 flattened faces on opposite sides, probably for unscrewing, I can unscrew this if necessary.

Note apologies for the limescale we live in a hard water area!

Here are the photos

tap_1.jpg

tap_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sometimes with those taps when you are repeatedly turning the neck/spout you can wear away at the washer or loosen something.

Unscrew the nut you've highlighted & normally the spout can just be pulled out usually with only a *POP* like sound/motion as its only an o-ring thats making the seal on the chrome nut stops it from flying off when you turn water on.. usually unless its a fancy or foreign model.

If you do that & take another picture of either the spout out of place or what you're looking at once the chromed nut is loosened/out of the way I'd be able to better advise you if you've any more questions. :)

More than likely just a broken o-ring though, if it is take it to a wholesaler or B&Q.. wholesaler will probably give you one that fits correctly for free if they have one handy or take it to B&Q, if they try to charge you anything more than 99p for it I would slap someone.

Note apologies for the limescale we live in a hard water area!

:eek:Did the wife know you shamed her by putting photos up in front of the world :LOL:

Unscrew the nut and pull the neck out. Replace O ring.

Thank you both for the advice, i have a box of assorted o-rings in my tools. it just seemed to happen one day and rotate without any of the normal resistance experienced twisting the neck.

Thankfully, as you will note from my topic post time it was a midnight covert operation when she and the kids were in bed, the pictures will be destroyed after a successful repair. I will be sure to clean it up with some white vinegar for extra brownie points.

I will take your advice later on this evening and return to ask any questions, and thank you accordingly.

Sponsored Links
I unscrewd the bolt and removed the neck and saw no obviously broken rubber o-rings / rubber seals, i did see a plastic washer though that was about a 95% complete circle, is this normal or has it snapped? Wish I had taken a photo.

As i couldn't fix the tap, i reassembled the unit with all the parts in the same place and tightened the bolt back up, turned the water supply back on and ... the leak had gone... i suspect this will only be temporary but if it happens again I will repost.

Thanks everyone again. If there are any follow up comments would be happy to hear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back