help with adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to set to tiling our hallway (concrete)with some 300x600 porcelain tiles but finding the whole adhesive thing a bit of a minefield.
There seems to be loads of quick set products but because I'm no professional tiler I have concerns that the adhesive will start to go off before I get to it...struggling to find a quality "standard set" adhesive, thought I'd found a Unibond product but then found some crap reviews...can anybody point me in the right direction as to what I can use...quite a large area so I doubt it will be completed in one hit, (even a local tiler quoted 2-3 days but I think that included grouting etc)...intend to take my time to get it right hence my reticence to use anything "rapid set"...any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
A rapid set will give you roughly 40 minutes pot life. If you'd rather use a standard set take a look at BAL, Mapei, Granfix, Weber, TileMaster - any of the trade brands. Stay away from the diy sheds and either go to your local tile shop or order online.

Thanks for the reply tpt...because of the size of tile, 300x600, do I need something special...I've seen some adhesives described as "large format" and I've seen others that are "not suitable for tiles larger than 300x300"
.....the tiles I have are described as porcelain...again do I need a specific adhesive?....unfortunately the tiles came from the big orange shed place(that's what 'she' wanted) and their advice is sketchy to put it mildly!

the main thing you should look for is a single part flexible adhesive, this means its polymer modified and ideal for porcelain. the single part bit means its just a bag of powder that you mix with water.

assuming your buying locally (as delivery will cost you obv) which tile shops do you have locally?

Sponsored Links
tileGiant do Mapei so they may be worth a phone call, but the independent is perhaps your best bet. Topps charge a fortune for adhesive.

You can order from me for £18.98 a bag, but i would think the delivery would outweigh any saving TBH

Thanks for the info tpt...ordered some Keraquick on-line, works out about £20 per 20kg delivered, getting grout from the same place, both were loads cheaper than Tile Giant etc....should arrive Friday, so that's the weekend taken care of! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back