Floor adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got myself some new ceramic floor tles and have been looking for the right tile adhesive, so far i have came across unibond waterproof adhesive & grout and rapidset.. what is the difference?

Sponsored Links
No such thing as waterproof Wombats. the right adhesive will depend on the surface you are laying on. IMO Unibond stuff isn't up to much, me I always go for one of the BAL products, Gold Star is the cheaper floor adhesive down this neck of the woods, but works very well for me.

Flexible for wooden floors, Rapid set for concrete.

Thanks for the quick reply toptec.

It is going on concrete floor, so would you recomend that i should use repid set?

I only mentioned waterproof as it is lablelled as waterproof on the bag. Isn't all adhesive and grout supposed to be waterproof to a certain extent?

BAL Rapidset, & you won’t go far wrong but there are others equally as good. Forget Unibond, it's cheap but very much a case of "peanuts & monkeys"!

Unless it's epoxy based, “waterproof” only means waterproof in then sense that it wont turn to mush when it gets wet; it does not mean it's impermeable & it will absorb water which will affect whatever is behind it; it shouldn’t matter in your case.

Sponsored Links
Rapidset is fine.

Claims of Waterproofing are common. In reality it's horlicks. Some might be water resistant to a certain extent but I wouldn't rely on it. Have a read of the BAL website. I don't think they make any claims of waterproofing and they are a top notch outfit.

It is one reason you tank walls for shower and bathrooms. No adhesive will waterproof a wall otherwise nobody would bother to tank.

Unibond stuff can be prone to cracking. Like most materials you get what you pay for. I would go for BAL for the adhesive and something like Mapei for your grout. I usually use grey grout for floors as it's the same colour as the adhesive so any showing through won't be noticed.

By the way I am not a Pro Tiler. Just done it for years and years. DIY expert - that's me!! ;) ;)

(Edit - Sorry Richard You beat me to it!)

Thanks for the advice guys. :D

Just one more thing, there has been tiles on the floor before and when they were removed it took some of the black lining may be bitumen coating not sure it is very thin of the concrete floor. Would this make any difference to what adhesive i would use or will they all stick to this stuff?

It's fine. As long as there is no loose stuff it will stick. A smoother base makes a smoother finish. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back