Help with advice on concreting soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I am after some advice/guidance on concreting over soil.

Basically I am in the process of renovating a re-opened fireplace. The bottom of the fireplace was uneven and had tiles in the bottom. I have pulled most of the tiles up to reveal a sandy cement mixture that has crumbled, on top of a soft soil top which I suspect is why it has become uneven.

Because I need to make a constructional hearth, I am going to remove the remaining tiles and then dig up the soft soil until I get to more clayey or thicker soil.

My question is, once I get to that level, what is the best method of prep before concreting? I need around 10cm of concrete for my hearth, if I happen to be a fair amount deeper than this would it be advisable to add some polystyrene insulation prior to adding the concrete and if so what would be a good thickness?

If I don't need to use any insulation, what be the best prep before concreting?

cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back