Help with back boiler please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a baxi gf3 super back boiler and fire front and to be honest i am very happy with the performance but dont really like the looks. This boiler was in the house when we brought it a year ago and the base of the fire is approx 5inch from the floor whis is making a hearth that looks nice a real problem.
I am now looking to either lower the fire so i can make it look reasonable with a nice hearth and surround or replace the whole boiler and go with a normal type boiler (not combi though) At the moment the house is in the process of being rennovated by myself so floorboards and plaster being removed is not a problem. If i do change the boiler i am hoping to be able to do the majority of plumbing myself as i am quite handy with soldering and general plumbing but dont really know what to expect when removing the boiler. Will the pipework be a massive task? Any general pointers for removing the old back boiler? Or can the boiler simply be lowered or would it be as easy to remove it?
Any help and advice is very gatefully recieved! thanks all!!

Sponsored Links
Its going to be quite a big job to lower it. Boiler out taking extreme care adjusting pipe work, more importantly you will have to re-linr flue with new flue liner to get a 5" lower.

Go for it and replace with new condensing boiler will save about 20% - 30% on gas running costs as well.

Remember to remove flue liner if going to put a gas fire in fireplace afterwards

Sponsored Links
BBU's. Absolutely hate these things with a vengeance.

i'd take the plunge and fit in a new condenser boiler, and replace the fire and bbu with a decent living effect fire.

Just wondering, What % efficiency do back-boilers run at?

78% and a nice warm chimney to keep your neighbours happy!

Does the base of this fire front need to be supported or sounds daft is that what the brackets underneath do? it is the length of the legs causing the problem if the fire doesnt need extra support, are leg extensions avaliable at all? basically i would love to replace the back boiler, the wifes moaning (sure ya know the type wants a whole house decorated yesterday!!) its going to take too long and we aint got much money so majority of work to be done myself!!
Are leg extensions or longer legs avaliable then?

hopeful and expectant said:
Are leg extensions or longer legs avaliable then?

You'd have to ask your local hospital orthopaedic clinic.

Seriously, no

great so at least its supported!

Any ideas of where to get an hearth that the legs will reach then or are them leg extensions suitable? Were really stuck for ideas for an hearth that will look ok, if we were to find one we would seriously consider keeping the fire!

thanks again for all your help

The only baxi bbu that had adjustable leg kits was the VP . GF didn`t..

Although your fire looks nice and new it may have been fitted onto an old boiler... .So might be worth changing while you are already having up heavel. Finances allowing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back