Help with Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help? We have an arch created from a previous internal wall in our kitchen. We wanted to take this arch out to open up the kitchen dinner and realised that there is a steel joist above the arch. In order to take the arch out completely we will need to replace the joist with one approx 200mm longer taking it from the external wall to the internal wall in the centre of the house. Can anyone tell me if I will need to speak to building regs and get permission for this?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Probably yes, because it will almost certainly be a structural alteration.
There will be a Building Regs fee (£££) and they will probably ask you to get a SE to do calculations for the beam (more £££).
Have a nice evening.

what sort of beam is it? is it an "I" beam or a box lintel? and what are the dimensions and the size of the finished opening.
Catnic or similar could specify a box lintel for you and you could really just crack on and get the job done.
But Tony is technically correct in his answer

Thanks Guys,

It is an 'I' beam and the size we are looking to put in is 2950mm length, 152mm X 89mm 16kg/m.
The beam would be resting on 170mm engineering brick on the external wall and 100mm engineering brick on the internal wall. New to this so please bare with me, learning everyday

Sponsored Links
2950mm length, 152mm X 89mm 16kg/m

That's rather specific, so you must have had it designed, and whoever designed it must have considered the end details, and presumablly must have known about building regs?

Well, there is only one weight available at that serial size, so not *that* specific.

Well, there is only one weight available at that serial size, so not *that* specific.

There are many beam sections to choose from, so picking one is specific. No-one selects a beam by weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back