Help with ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi al
Hopefully a relatively easy one
Can someone help me understand what to do with the extra wires here?

I can see that red and blue need to go into the new rose as like for like but those additional wires going into nothing I’m unsure about.

First pic is wires coming out of ceiling on a single switch
Second pic is the new ceiling rose just purchased

Thanks
James

Attachments

• 6A276DDB-2991-4F23-9832-368120C4EFB7.jpeg
    6A276DDB-2991-4F23-9832-368120C4EFB7.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
So your wiring is incorrect at the moment due to no proper earth terminal. It looks like this light is the last one on the circuit so it doesn't follow in a daisy chain to any other light.

So what you need to do assuming it's working at the moment is first turn everything off at the main switch in the consumer unit/fuse box. Then the two that you have at the moment going into the light flex will be neutral and switched live, run them into the rose and thereby through to the light bulb automatically.

The terminal where the two are connected together that's the "permanent live" so they should both go into the middle terminals on the light fitting. The badly connected painted over ones are presumably the earth, and should be terminated into the earth terminal. At the moment your light switch is probaly not earthed properly.

It would be a good idea to replace the sleeving on the earths with new clean stuff, also put brown sleeving on the "switched live" for idenitification. Also if you have a multi meter it would be sensible to check before you reenergise that you have at least continuity between the screws in your light switch and somewhere that's connected to earth, perhaps a metal gas pipe or the incoming water if it's metal.

Another good idea would be to check all the other light fittings, as if they're in the same state re earthing you'll need to sort that.

A proper test would be more reliable, but with a multimeter it's more tricky. I've probably missed something essential but there will be others along soon.

The two bare wires are the earths and should connect to the earth terminal on the ceiling rose

Thank you for the responses.

OK great so the two wires going into the dead end block are permanent live and should go into the live terminal on the new rose.
The horrific looking painted one is an earth and should go into the earth block.

Hope I’ve understood that correctly

Sponsored Links
Yep that's spot on, although see my comments about testing - if the state of that light fitting is like that, I'm sure the others are similar if not worse

Thanks John
Wired successfully and working!!

Points noted about the others - will look into it.

Appreciate the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back