Help with concealed hinging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm constructing a stand that is to have three doors on the front. I would really like to use some from of concealed hinge, but not sure what would be best.

The doors are 'inset' rather than 'overlaid' BUT they have an additional decorative layer on the front which means they are not flush. Consequently, I don't think regular kitchen door type hinges would not work, possibly some sort of pivot hinge?

Here are a couple of sketches...

doors_1.png

doors_section.png

The 'panel' and inner half of the doors will be mdf, probably 18mm and the outer decorative panel will be either veneered mdf or conti-board. The 'uprights' are 2x4, it needs to be very substantial.

It would also be nice to have no handles, so push-to-open-push-to-close setup, again, not sure what to use for this.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Chris

Sponsored Links
It could be done with knife or pivot hinges but the pivot would need to be set about 30mm from the door/upright joint which would mean you loose about 40mm of upen width.

An auto latch would work, I use these as they are quite small or the magnetic ones are good as well.

Jason

yes i think normal kitchen hinges will work but you will need to check adjust the setback of the mounting bracket from the front face on the frame if you don't want the doors to end up flush.

Sponsored Links
Inset kitchen hinges have a max door thickness of 32.5mm and thats with quite a large corner radius, the OP's doors will be at least 33mm so the doors will foul the carcase. The base plates will also hang over the back of teh 4x2 framework which can make them a bit unstable.

Looks like a Sketch-up drawing to me

Jason

Thanks for the replys, looks like a pivot hinge is just what I need. Yes, the doors will be something like 33mm wide.

squowse, the designs are done in 'google sketchup'. Once you've grasped the basics, I wouldn't say it's time consuming. I find it's great for allowing me to work out some concepts and get a broad feel for how the final item may look and go together.

It also helps when you have questions, a picture speaks a thousand words!

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back