Help with cooker switch and crappy landlord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a rented house and the cooker switch can only supply 16amp
But there is no freestanding 16 amp cooker anywhere?
I asked landlord and he said get a new cooker that supports that then
But it's not that easy so now I'm in a property with no cooker is anyone able to help my dilemma?

Sponsored Links
You could order takeaways!
But joking apart, exactly what is your dilemma?
Does the tenancy agreement state a cooker is supplied by the landlord?
Are having a problem sourcing a cooker equal or lower than the supply rating?
And is it a cooker or is it an oven that you are talking about?

It has to be a freestanding oven Which does not exist in a 16 amp
I have asked him if it's possible to change the wire to a 32 amp so it can support an oven but he refuses so he wants to rent out a property that cannot support any freestanding oven

I even asked him to look to find a freestanding oven at 16 amps and he said he cannot find one

I need some advice on how to get out of this

So a we talking about a free-standing cooker (that is oven and hob combined)?
Is there only an electrical supply, or is there also a facility for a gas connection?
If there is a gas supply, then you could have duel cooker where hob is gas and oven electric that can be supported by a 16A supply, with the oven only requiring 13A. Electric hobs tend to require 20A, so with 16A you are stuffed.
The landlord should supply you with adequate means to cook!
With regards to cable size and increased rating of the circuit, are you aware of the CSA of the cable?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, definitely - in the meantime, the landlord needs to offer you at least a microwave on loan so you can eat some warm food. Personally, I would physically visit John Lewis and other places selling electrical appliances and ask someone there in the oven dept.

the landlord does not need to supply anything..depends what you agreed when you moved in..tenancy agreement etc

Baby Belling style cookers run on a 13 amp plug. (There was also a model that had to be wired into a 30A supply, but they're less common now).

Well it is awhile since the OP has offered up any further information regarding their concerns or progress.
So I guess it has been resolved or the OP has moved properties or is dining out or is on take outs!
Or possibly starved to death!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back