Help with cordless laptop please.

H&J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Early next year we intend to give up everything and buy a motorhome, touring first in this country then Europe.

My questions, would a laptop still work, bearing in mind some locations would be fairly remote and would one purchesed in the U.K. work in Europe?

If anyone answers this please take into account that nobody knows less about computors than I do.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
a laptop will work in any country (so long as you can chrge it from your motor home, i cant see a problem.

bit like taking a torch to another country, will it work, yes of course.

internet access will be fun though (but great fun if you can connect via your mobile, but you may need a triband enabled phone if you go stateside)

(all the above assume you will not be trying to use it outside or in poor weather, ie in the rain)

I was only interested in internet usage, which I now realise I made no mention of in my post.

Thanks anyway

I've never tried using a "wireless hotspot", however these are common enough in major British cities that I would expect major cities on the continent will also have such facilities. This is generally in the form of a cafe or bar, where you buy a pint and an hour of internet useage. You can then hook into their broadband connection via your wireless networking.

So, get a laptop with wireless networking (most have it now) and you are sorted.

Sponsored Links
Slightly off topic, I recently did a random survey of wireless networks. Using my laptop with a wireless network scanning program, I started a scan when leaving work and left it running for the 20 mile journey home. I found 72 wireless networks, 41 of which were not running encryption. Out of the 41, I randomly selected 10, and out of those 10, I could connect to the Internet on 6. :eek:. Information being broadcast included SSID, MAC address and IP address.

It just goes to show you how vunerable people leave themselves.

Igorian said:
Slightly off topic, I recently did a random survey of wireless networks. Using my laptop with a wireless network scanning program, I started a scan when leaving work and left it running for the 20 mile journey home. I found 72 wireless networks, 41 of which were not running encryption. Out of the 41, I randomly selected 10, and out of those 10, I could connect to the Internet on 6. :eek:. Information being broadcast included SSID, MAC address and IP address.

It just goes to show you how vunerable people leave themselves.
wonder how many of those connections may have been governmental or military? you never know how secure national security really is?

Back