Advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

First of many posts asking for info so please be gentle. :)

I am in the process of buying a singleskin blockwork with inner timber frame bungalow in need of quite a bit of work.

I am on a very tight budjet (arn't we all) so will be doing most of the work myself I am fairly competent at diy and am not afraid of hard graft and getting my hands dirty. there are though quite a few things I havent done before so would appreciate any help and guidance in doing the work correctly without any costly blunders.

Some of the walls have been stripped back to the stud work so they are going to need insulating (after insulating I intend to use tapered plasterboards with a foil backing to cover the walls) I have seen this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....EWA:VRI&viewitem=&item=330100176449&rd=1&rd=1 and wondered what you guys thought of it.

Would it be suitable for the purpose/provide enough insulation?
Has anyone used it before?
Finally how do you fit it.

Has anyone got a better suggestion as to what to use (bearing in mind costs)

Hope you can adise me
Cheers Jim

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi Jim
My local b/c do not allow this product and other derivatives as apparently it does not insulate as they claim.
It is good however as a space saving insulator but means you need to use 50mm laminated plasterboards on top to get up to building regs (if required of course).
I just built an extension with single block 225 celcon solar and had to insulate with 50mm internally to adhere to building regs.
With the cost of gas/electricity it does pay to insulate to the max have a look at your energy suppliers website thay may offer assistance with grant led products, or look at the warmfront gov programme thay also offer insulation at grant level.
Eitherway good luck with your refurb the work is good for you.
Pete

I would now that you have bare studs go with R20 or better fibreglass bats poly wrap 6mm. use adhesive in a tube to secure to studs, be sure to overlap poly 6" min. at studs be sure to pay extra attention to wall plugs buy special plastic boxes to fit around wall plugs and seal well you have to cut off all drafts. now drywall and watch you don't punch holes in poly you might mark floor and ceiling at studs while open so you can be sure for drywall nailing.

Thanks for the imput guys:)

Anyone else got any suggestions/advice etc.

Cheers Jim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back