Kitchen Lighting - Help Required!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After some advice please. I'm trying to find out if it is possible to install 2 sets of lights in my kitchen, 1 set of plinth lights plugged into a normal socket and another set of under cabinet lights, again plugged into a normal socket. Both sockets are hidden and therefore I would need some sort of remote system in order to operate.

So my questions are;
1) Is there a remote system that will work as described above bearing in mind the sockets are behind cabinets (may sound stupid but what sort of signal do these remotes use?)

2) Is it possible to use the same remote for both sets of lights?

If the answer is yes are there any sets you have used/would recommend and where can I get them?

Many thanks!
Jack

Sponsored Links
It's normal, surely, to have lights on a lighting circuit?

Wireless controls are to be avoided if at all possible - they are not as reliable as wired.

I imagine that different systems will use different frequencies and protocols - do you have a reason for needing to know specific details beyond "radio signals"?

Sockets must not be inaccessible behind cupboards.

Unless you are absolutely sure that they are of reputable quality, do not hide ELV lighting power supplies away behind cupboards and plinths, and do not buy dubious carp on Amazon, eBay etc from China because it is cheap.

Yes, but access to the lighting circuit without ripping half the kitchen out would be nigh-on impossible. The lights are likely to only be used once a day at most for a short time hence why I thought this would be a simpler way of doing things. I have various floor lamps, table lamps etc around the house that are plugged into a socket and that's how they're designed so surely some low voltage led's wouldn't cause a problem?

No reason to know specific detail about signals - just wondered what acts as a receiver, as if its the plug then it's not much use as an infra-red signal for example wouldn't reach it hidden away. The sockets aren't inaccessible, I have access through cut-outs in the back of the cupboards to be able to switch on/off just a remote would be a lot more convenient instead of reaching through each time.

I'm looking for a quality system, so will not be going anywhere near the cheap Chinese rubbish, hence looking for recommendations here...

Hope that gives a greater level of detail than my initial post.

Sponsored Links
Hi, try x10 or Lightwave RF plug in remote controlled modules. Just plug and play with remote wall plate or handheld remote.

Regards,

DS

Thanks for the replies will have a look at these options :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back