Help with customers gurgling bath!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got called by a customer as their bath gurgles every time they flush the loo. I went to the loft, removed the durgo valve, flushed the loo and hey presto, no gurgling so I thought the valve must have jammed.

Fitted them a new one and the gurgling is back!! Thought it must be a blockage somewhere so I’ve cleaned all the traps as well as I can (everything is tiled in) - no joy!!!

Any other ideas? Like I said, EVEYTHING is tiled in, I’d like to put an new air admittance valve on the 2 inch pipe I’ve found that I can get to (after cutting an access panel in the adjacent bedroom) but there is very very little room, and there is very little movement on the pipes!!!

Is there such a thing as a strap on boss to 50mm??

See pictures of the only pipe I can find, this is fed by the bath, shower and the basin! Customer has only recently started having problems though.

Thanks

Mike.

Attachments

• ABBA7377-26F7-44D7-A92D-C0743F3F5236.jpeg
    ABBA7377-26F7-44D7-A92D-C0743F3F5236.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 259
  • E7466353-CF8B-459F-98DA-BCC177E88E62.jpeg
    E7466353-CF8B-459F-98DA-BCC177E88E62.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 232
Sponsored Links
Most of the 110mm strap-on boss will take a 50mm, 40mm or 32mm adapter, if it isn't native 50mm already.

It may not be a pull on the trap rather a push. If the main sack is restricted further down then the pressure of the water volume from the toilet could be blowing back up the trap rather than drawing out of it. It can be a drawback of an internally vented stack with a durgo if there's an issue, it only vents in not out.

Thanks Madrab, odd that it only happens on the bath though, as the shower and basin both also feed into the 2” in the picture.

I was “hoping” there was a strap boss to go onto the existing 2” pipe so I can put a 2” admittance valve on there too?

I get what you mean though.....it does seem to be a push up the bath trap rather than a pull. I did originally say that I may need to cut them an access point in the stack in the garage....sounds like that may be my next plan.....?

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Sponsored Links
Yep gotcha, cheers Not not so new. I’ve cleared everything I can, going to cut an access point in the stack in the garage I think....

Check any manholes before cutting into the stack. There's no guarantee you'll see anything if you do break into the stack, if blockage is underground, it may be some way away. I agree with the Guys above, if the pipework is blocked further down, the contents of the WC pan will be displacing the air trapped in the pipework, (removing the AAV allows it to escape there), otherwise its finding the path of least resistance, i.e. the bath.

Or better still - check the the possibilities before cutting at all.

One possibility is putting the vent pipe through the roof - upselling @ it's best;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back