Help with extending the broadband connection from the faceplate, odd results.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite simply, i have a master socket with filter (says Openreach MK3 on the middle section).

I believe i have wired my extension to have the router approx 6 meters away correctly:

- All phones come off the very front plate, filtered.

- The router extension comes off the A,B terminals on the intermediate plate marked MK3, Un-filtered.

Problem, I get 50 Mbit/s if i plug the router directly into the MK3 face plate.
As soon as i connect the extension to A,B ( router still plugged into the MK3 face plate ) i drop to 34 Mbit/s.
Somehow the extension is messing up my signal, even when i dont move the router to the other end of it.

The extension cable is cat6 twisted etc, and i even replaced this with shielded cat6 earthed at one end, with no noticeable improvement.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why CAT6? That's network cable.

What is connected at the extension end?

The CAT6 is more than fine, BT will use CAT5E today for an internal extension if you choose to have one, move your Infinity etc.

I presume we're talking about non-Infinity here? If so, disconnect the ringer wire.

Sponsored Links
The ADSL signal is "optimised" to travel along telephone cable CW1308 or similar which has a low twist rate ( twists per metre ). CAT 5 data cable has a very high twist rate which does affect the quality of the ADSL signal.

Somehow the extension is messing up my signal, even when i dont move the router to the other end of it.

The extension acts as an unterminated stub when the router is plugged into the face plate. The ADSL signal travels to the end of the stub and, with no termination, ( resistive load of a router / modem ) the signal is reflected back along the stub and appears to the router as an echo a few micro seconds after the real signal. The echo confuses the modem in the router and thus reduces the data rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back