Help with FCU and new wall tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just need some help, i can do the electric's just need to know if it can be tidyed up more so i don't have 4 large hole's or a better way to wire it up without the 2g sw.
Here's the idea.
Thank's for your help.
View media item 17045

Sponsored Links
As you want to run both the TV FCU and double socket from a single spur, you will need to change the existing double socket to a twin box with 1G socket and FCU as you propose. That is, assuming the socket you intend to spur from is a part of the ring.

Alternatively, you could extend the ring to the new TV location by attaching a new length of cable in the rear of the existing double backbox in crimps or 30A terminals, and the other leg of the ring connecting into the back of the double socket that's already there.

I had similar problem and local whole sale outlet had double plus single back boxes so I could fit a FCU and double socket into same box. Since I wanted more than double socket I used brass conduit ends and 20 and 25mm nuts to set the spacing between two boxes so the two doubles and two single way plates all fitted neat without any chance of not lining up with each other.
This
p2527729_l.jpg
is designed for two items i.e. socket and FCU note two sets of screws you can also get metal one for double and single.

Hi electronicsuk, i'm not with you, i know about the first opption, just not sure on the second, the only socket is on the left, everything near tv will be new, so are you saying make the ring bigger by leaving one leg in the double socket on the left of the picture and put new wire going up to new socket's, then come all the way back with the new wire then attach that to the other leg with the 30a connectors.
Just thought first might be less of a pain and use less wire, i cant take floor boards up as they are t & g loft type and tiled over.

Ericmark, thank's for that, i need one of them, one way or another

Sponsored Links
So - essentially, it means if you stick to safe zones and RCD protect at 30mA you are OK. Your diagram looks like you are sticking to the safe zones doesn't it?

Could you not extend the ring with two cables to the location of the TV thus making it future proof for more sockets later and instead of using crimps at the existing socket use one of these
p2527729_l.jpg
or the metal version to hold two single sockets as the two connections into the new section of ring.

OK the two singles side by side would look "different" from a normal double but with the advantage of no crimps.

Hi ban-all-shed's thank's for that link, that's really good to know.

Hi Dizz, yes it's my daughter's bedroom (safe zone) and the tv is her xmas present, but i got to do all this first and redecorate, just looked at the cu, it has kitchen, ground floor and first floor ring all protected by a 80A 30mA RCCB.

So to you both does that mean i don't need all the extra earthed conduit, and i can just go ahead and run the 2.5mm T & E through the wall's?

Really just want to know if i can have less socket's for stereo and dvd, i know i need the one for the tv, that's a must, but don't really want 4 hole's in the wall, if i can really help it.

Thank's to everyone so far.

Hi electronicsuk, i'm not with you, i know about the first opption, just not sure on the second, the only socket is on the left, everything near tv will be new, so are you saying make the ring bigger by leaving one leg in the double socket on the left of the picture and put new wire going up to new socket's, then come all the way back with the new wire then attach that to the other leg with the 30a connectors.
Just thought first might be less of a pain and use less wire, i cant take floor boards up as they are t & g loft type and tiled over.

Yup, that's what I was suggesting. It may significantly lengthen the ring so would be a bad idea if it already covers a large area, so caution required, but it would negate the need for one of the FCUs.

Hi Dizz, yes it's my daughter's bedroom (safe zone) and the tv is her xmas present, but i got to do all this first and redecorate, just looked at the cu, it has kitchen, ground floor and first floor ring all protected by a 80A 30mA RCCB.

So to you both does that mean i don't need all the extra earthed conduit, and i can just go ahead and run the 2.5mm T & E through the wall's?

Yes, you can run it wherever you like within the safe zones. If the actual wiring layout is as per your diagram with the horizontal cable run within 150mm of the ceiling, it will be compliant. However, if it's an upstairs room, it would make more sense to take the horizontal part into the loft and save a lot of chasing.

EDIT: Yes, I'm an idiot, diagram clearly states the horizontal part is in the loft. Keep everything else in vertical chases up from the accessories on the wall.

Can't you go via underfloor and save a pile of messy chasing out of walls.

Easier route normally, and then run 2 x TE2.5mm cables and extend the ring to the new double socket.

From the 'new' double socket run a spur for the TV.

It's quite normal for electrical gadgets to be piled up in an area, in a front room you would have 2 or 3 doubles for the TV stereo area- BUT, there's nothing to stop you having a 4 gang extension plate fused at 13a is there ?

That saves the aesthetics and some work. As I type from the office room, I have an 8w systems rack socket supply- and I'm a sparks !
Stuff having 5 x double sockets in my office- :D

Hi Thank's, should of put that in the picture, it is a upstairs room and i will be going into the loft, no chasing out wall's, and i can' lift the board's as it's T&G floor board's and has vinyl floor tile's stuck down onto them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back