help with fitting a new power shower from scratch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, it is my first time I have used a forum but have signed up as I like doing home improvements, I am currently doing a sparky course in chelmsford but in my spare time i am hoping to put in a power shower (from scratch) for our bathroom over the bath. I have done work in this field before but could do with some pointers to get me going? These are the type of things I would like to try to find out?

How can you test the water pressure we have?

On my CPU I do not have any spare circuit breakers, can I just match one with the same ampage and have two circuits running off one breaker or do I need to get a CPU with more breakers?

Does any one know what cable to use? 1.5/2.5 or bigger?

Any good makes of power showers?

That about all for now as we just in the planning stage but if anyone knows of anything else I should be considering please let me know.

Thanks again all
Tommy (schmeagle). :)

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to know water pressure for a power shower install ?.

What do you mean by CPU ?.

Surely on your electrics course they should be explaining KW and cable ratings.

Good luck Tommy

Sponsored Links
hi, yea some showers have said that you need a sertain amount of water preasure to run them and our water preasure is quite low, dont really want to buy 1 if it is gonna be usless?

Consumer Protective Unit? that is were your fuses/ circuit breakers are yea? been working as a labour most of my life but when I have done electrics before it has mainly been to do with lighting and plug sockets ect.
Yea they are but we not really covered about this topic yet all I know is what I have seen done before. thanks Al - glasgow.

To pdcelec, I am on first year so long way to go yet but finding it quite easy at mo. The part about three phase is a bit blagging lol but getting there. :oops:

asking about WATER pressure on an ELECTRICAL forum

being at college doing a sparkie couse

been doing it for ages

schmeagle";p="1040396 said:
hi, yea some showers have said that you need a sertain amount of water preasure to run them and our water preasure is quite low, dont really want to buy 1 if it is gonna be usless?

Power showers are never connected to a mains water system, eg a combi boiler, they would be used in a "low pressure" situation to boost the water flow, hence the pump.

Consumer Protective Unit? that is were your fuses/ circuit breakers are yea? been working as a labour most of my life but when I have done electrics before it has mainly been to do with lighting and plug sockets ect.
Yea they are but we not really covered about this topic yet all I know is what I have seen done before. thanks Al - glasgow.

I am a plumber, so dont quote me on electrics, I recognise it as a simple consumer unit, If you look on the spec of the power shower you intend to fit you will see the electrical rating (usually a simple 3a spur is sufficiant for a power shower with internal pump),

Can you confirm an example of shower you would like to install ?, make and model, then the forum sparks will help you out.

Al

asking about WATER pressure on an ELECTRICAL forum

being at college doing a sparkie couse

been doing it for ages
yea i have not been doing it for ages that why asking for advice lol, sorry if you think it a wind up but dont want to take no chances with elec and water. Can see your point tho lol. soz again?

Well like I say al - glasgow not really sure just want some thing cheap really but I am open to sergestions really. If I had it my way I would get the cheepest and get fried lol. (dont wont that lol)

Yea i know they not on mains but our main water not really that great fella? did not know if it was important?

I shall have a look over next couple of days and find out what sort of shower I want. maybe then can get more answers then?

sorry If I dont make much sence, like I say jack of all trades but never been trained in one lol. Hoping I will soon (3 years or so If I dont fry myself before hand lol)

My suggestion would be for you to get a qualified electrician in to do the work.

Maybe explain that you are doing a "sparkie course" and ask if you can help with the labour, he may even explain his cable selection and how he derated it taking into account the installation method.

Thanks disinfo, Think good sergestion is that, what I was planning to do is get the system in then get some one out to test and wire to consumer unit but think it a bit too advanced for me at mo lol. Shame it not lighting ect I would be fine but with water involved think I should think about this one carfully, the on site guide is not really helping either lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back