Help with fitting new Flourescent Lights!

B

bushidomike

Hi Guys
I have bought two single 4ft fluorescent lights from Wickes and would like to install them in my kitchen.
Having taken them from the box, they are all complete and ready to go.
I have all the ceilings down at the moment in the kitchen.
The kitchen currently has two standard light bulb sockets, one at each end of the kitchen.
Where am I taking the L, N and E wires from to install these fluorescent lights?
I understand the 5 amp fuse light circuit wires are for the lighting and the 30 amp fuse circuit for plug/socket mains. I am unsure where to wire them into and won’t mess.
I had actually thought I would be using the live and Neutral wires from the existing light bulb socket with the same on off wall switch but upon opening the light boxes I need to earth them.
My question is where do I actually wire them FROM? I was hoping I could splice into the existing wires currently in the ceiling and take the feed from there. What is confusing me is where I need to take the earth wire from. I did not want to go near the meter box and was hoping the wires in the ceiling would be suitable for what seems like it should be a simple job . Also what on off switch would I be using?
I want to do this myself if possible. I know I sound like a bit of a plank but I won’t do this unless I am 100% sure.
Thanks for your help.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Sounds like old wiring with no earths.

To compy with current regs, you'd need to earth them and best practise would be a new run from the CU, rather than borrowed earths.

Other than that, you'd wire them in from where the old lights were wired from, but you're just missing an earth at the moment.

Thanks for that. That helps. Yes it is old wiring and I think I will use a borrowed earth as that is shown to be the case in the garage.

Before you do anything else, you may find you have got an earth where the cable terminates into your light fitting, but that its been hidden because your existing fitting didn't require an earth. Turn your power off, then peel back the sheath a bit to see if there's an earth tucked away. If there isn't one then its a whole new ball game. Personally if theres no earth I would get fittings which don't require an earth. (double insulated)

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks. The cable I was working with didn't but another cable nearby did have an earth when I peeled it back. It is the old black rubber sheeth about 55 years old.

Just for the record. Is it a complete no no to take an earth from say the back of a wall socket. This is the case in the garage. There is also a home made do it yourself earth cable setup coming into the garage from outside from under the floor concrete. I am going to strip the lot out and bring in a new supply.

VIR black cable is not be used and when found and still part of the system must be replaced. it's likely this cable is redundant?
You must when making a circuit have all the conductors earth, live, neutral of the same circuit do not share any conductors from differing circuits, either rewire or install a CPC/earth cable.

There is an option to use double insulated lights which don't require and earth I had to buy special 2D light fittings for my parents house because there was no earth.

The other option is to use a switch FCU as the light switch and that the supply from the sockets.

But this is not a DIY job and the LABC chargers are so high just too expensive to DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back