Help with flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our new flat, we have some damp on the Right Hand wall.

It is clearly the result of water ingress from a gap between the wall and the steps leading to the upper flat (see pictures).

My first thought is to clear out and fill these up with silicone as a stopgap before working on some sort of flashing solution.

Am I thinking right?

Thx

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Rintoul, good evening.

You note this flat is "new"?
Is that a "New to you" or a new build Property you have just moved in to as a first time owner of that property?

OK notwithstanding the above, the [almost] free standing blocks sited next to the Roughcast Rendered wall have loads of gaps, as does the gap between the top Platt and the step below, enough to admit rain water.

I take it the water ingress into your Property is that your property is under the platt entrance area to the first floor flat, and possible below the access stair?? as shown in your posted Image.

As an aside, some of the workmanship and cement finishing on the access stair is best described as "Poor"

Ken

If that is upstairs flat i dont think you can touch it without the owners permission! even if it is causing you problems.

Where is the damp in relation to the steps?

Thanks Ken.

Yes. New to us.
We are to the left of the stairs, on the ground floor.
The building is 70 years old, built originally by the national coal board, went through the local council and was bought from them.
Fortunately, this appears to be the only major problem.

Sponsored Links
Our solicitor assures us that we have the right, as long as e are not preventing access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back