Help with Halogen Bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CIMG0896.JPG

Could someone help me out with this ... these bulb holders are part of a newly acquired but second-hand light fitting ... halogen bulbs are not something I have had in the past ... Is the replacement part just the C as shown in the picture and if so does it simply pull out? Or does B separate from A by operating what appears to be clips.

Thank you
Ray

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
C is the replaceable part, it just pulls out.

or at least that is what should happen, but that type of fitting often fails due to the lampholder melting, pins corroded / bent / welded into the socket, etc.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies ... both bulbs are still working as it happens ... it was matter of being prepared for when they go ... the pins appear to be about 6mm apart but I'll measure them again tomorrow.

Ray

Thank you for the tip ... regarding the measurement they appear to be nearest to 6.35mm making them a GY Type presumably.

Ray

G5.3 is a more common size, look at the slots where it pushes in, usually there slots rather than holes and will tend to allow a 5.3 as well as other sizes to fit.
i personally have never seen a 6.35 lamp used.
More important is the wattage and voltage, to prevent transformer damage

I double checked the distance between the contacts they are 6.35mm and the holes are round so they are only for this bulb size.

The bulbs slide out of the holes OK. I need to shorten the cables at some point so I still need to identify how the bulb holders come apart ... it's either that or taking the unit down again to to shorten them at the transformer end.

20160205_115714.jpg 20160205_113429.jpg

As TTc said the holder will proberly break and the wires will likely be crimped and un removable, if you can, go for the transformer end.

Where is this light fitting installed? The halogen bulbs look tiny but your photo looks like a big light fitting under a large roof! It looks smart by the way.

Thank you Rocky I'll do that.

Freddo, the light fitting is in a cedar wood summerhouse ... it was here when we moved in 24 years ago and may have been there since the 1960's. I renewed the plywood interior a couple of years ago.

Ray

20160212_170012.jpg
CIMG8245.JPG
CIMG8247.JPG
CIMG8294.JPG

Newer than that, them bulbs wernt around in the 60's or the 70's, I reckon newer than about 1985

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back