Help With Hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought some hinges for my garden gate.

I set about hanging them this weekend and I'm a bit puzzled how I can get them to hand straight.

Here's a pic of the hinge:

ae235

The "band" fits very loosely on the "hook" and the gate will inevitably drop down because of this. I note the square hole in the band. Is this there for some kind of adjustment?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
when you have two of them, the gate will be held upright. You can space the upper one slightly in, if you want.

The square hole is for a coachbolt, which can't be undone from the outside.

Thanks.

Would you recommend I hang the bottom one first then?

WRT to coach bolt, why the square hole? The coach bolt would come through from the other side would it not? I'm confused by this.... :confused:

the coach bolt goes in from the hinge side, so the square fits, and the nut on the inside.

If it was me, I'd fit both bands to the gate first, then the top hook, then adjust the bottom hook positioning so the gate is vertical before drilling. You may need to move it out a bit. By hanging the gate on the top hook first, it is easier to move it around to get it right for the lower one. Try to start with just one screw in each hook in case you need to shift them and re-drill the holes.

When I first did hook and band, I carefully sloped the bands, but there is no need.

if you think there is a risk someone will break in by lifting the gate off its hinges, you can fit one hook upside down.

Sponsored Links
the coach bolt goes in from the hinge side, so the square fits, and the nut on the inside.

If it was me, I'd fit both bands to the gate first, then the top hook, then adjust the bottom hook positioning so the gate is vertical before drilling. You may need to move it out a bit. By hanging the gate on the top hook first, it is easier to move it around to get it right for the lower one. Try to start with just one screw in each hook in case you need to shift them and re-drill the holes.

When I first did hook and band, I carefully sloped the bands, but there is no need.

if you think there is a risk someone will break in by lifting the gate off its hinges, you can fit one hook upside down.

Thanks again!

Is there a scratching head emoji?? I'd assumed the hinge would be on the inside of the gate, is this not the case?

the hinge goes on the side that opens towards you.

On my gate it's the outside, also on garages, coach-houses, boat sheds etc. Yours may differ.

the hinge goes on the side that opens towards you.

On my gate it's the outside, also on garages, coach-houses, boat sheds etc. Yours may differ.

OK - makes sense. My gate opens inwards, so the hinge will go on the inside, hence my confusion about the square hole. So in my case, if the coach bolt goes on the inside, I will have bolts on the outside?

Obvious question no.2 coming up... What's to stop someone coming along and unhooking the gate and walking off with it? Should the hooks be set opposing one another? One up and one down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back