Help with identifying conservatory construction materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've inherited a small lean too conservatory that I'm looking to make more thermally efficient.

I'm struggling to work out what it's walls are actually made from, the external face is rendered. It's at least 20 years old I'm told

I've attached two photos, inside and out.

Internally, from looking round the windows/doors, it looked like it had been plasterboarded but since I've smashed a hole into it, it doesn't appear to be the case. You can see the layer where it has been skimmed, but then about 10mm in, there is this metal latice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

20171230_125353.jpg

20171230_130431.jpg

Sponsored Links
I also once had what I thought was plasterboard but then discovered a metal lattice:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/plasterboard-with-embedded-steel-mesh.467380/

This useful forum told me what it was, but not until 5 months after I asked.....

Anyway, yes, it's plaster over expanded metal mesh. The mesh may be everywhere or maybe just in corners or other difficult locations.
As stuart says, in the second pic it looks like blockwork underneath.

It'll be the corner beads in the render.
Not sure why you are knocking holes in it though, are you?

Sponsored Links
The mesh is from the beads, its block built with a 2 coat render and 2 coat plaster.

Thanks everyone. Next question, is it ok having the block work resting on top of the window like that? I'm looking to replace them with upvc units

Normally there would be a lintel over the window, the shouldn't be any load on the window frames themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back