Help with Lan Card

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help, I bought a Safecom dual speed 10/100Mbps lan card.
After installing it into my computer. My computer was unable to detect the lan card. I check with the test programm it shows that the adapter not found or it is not PCI machine. But I put it into my friend computer it works without any problem. I do not know why it does not work on my machine.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Post some details about your machine and the operating system, also your friends machine that it did work on and we may be able to help you!!

Kevplumb, any more crystal balls??

Merv

My machine is a Intel PII 400, my friend's machine is a Intel P4 3 Ghz

...and up popped the shopkeeper, firmly holding one of Kevs balls...

Sponsored Links
Allenm said:
Post some details about your machine and the operating system, also your friends machine that it did work on and we may be able to help you!!

Merv

We need to know which version of windows you are running. Right click on the 'My Computer' icon on the desktop and post the details under the titles System: and Computer: Also do you have any other cards installed, if so post details of theses.

Thank You.
My machine is an Intel PII 400 Mhz 128 Mb of ram with Microsoft windowsXP Professional Version 2002 Services Pack 2.
It has ATI 128GL AGP card, Supraexpress 56i pro modems, Creative SB sound card and Hauppauge win TV 878/9 TV card. Now plug in the Safecom dual speed 10/100Mbps lan card of which can not be detected at all.

A couple of things come to mind. Some cards are fussy when it comes to bus priority. Some motherboards don't allow all slots to be used. Try removing one of the cards (eg modem) and replace it with the NIC. If this works, put the modem into the spare slot. (I am assuming all cards are of the same bus type here)

Bang on, usually slot three (from left with connectors at the top) on most motherboards doesn't share any IRQ with anything else, and NIC's sometimes dont like sharing. Move your NIC into slot 3 and see how things go. There's an excellent article on from AMD explaining IRQ assignments and some really useful hints on troubleshooting them. It goes as far as recommending which PCI slots to use with with certain hardware. The article can be found here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^3055,00.html.
Bear in mind that your particular motherboard may have different values, check up against your mobo manual if you still don't get no love.

Thank you, I did remove the sound card from slot 3 and inserted the lan card on it then inserted the sound card into slot 4, The sound card is working OK, thae lan network still does not work. Will it be the lan card has different voltage. Any idea how I can check my land card is compatable to my motherbroad.

Are all your slots used up? Try using just the graphic adaptor and the NIC. Are you sure it's not listed in device manager as an unknown device?

I removed the TV, sound card and modem. Then inserted the lan card into slot 1. My computer still not able to find it. I do not know why!

Go into Control Panel, Double-Click on the "System" icon.
Select the Hardware tab.
Click on "Device Manager"

Check (and report back) what is listed under the Network Controllers tree.
Also are there any Unknown Devices?

Do this twice, once without the Lan card, then again with it in.

Post back what you see.

Also, does your mate (the one on whos PC it does work) have a LAN card, have you tried that one. Is it new? if so, take it back and get a different make or model.

Merv

Can you provide the motherboard model number (or PC model if branded). Also the model number of the NIC.

Your machine is somewhat older than your friends and I am wondering about PCI signalling levels if you have an old m/b and new NIC.

Sponsored Links
Back