Help with measuring a Hexagon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not too good at woodwork but in these lockdown days I’m embarking on making a Dove Cote.

I need to make a Hexagon but unsure how I should measure it out on a piece of 12mm ply ready for cutting. Any help appreciated .

thank you

Attachments

• E39D0782-1E1F-4B47-982C-E42757973C25.jpeg
    E39D0782-1E1F-4B47-982C-E42757973C25.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Ok, Mark a central point on the sheet, draw a vertical line, use the protractor to measure 60 degrees, draw a line 60 away from original vertical line, repeat process. Then mark equal distances on the lines, finally join the dots up. Voila a perfect hexagon.

Sponsored Links
Probably the easiest approach is to use your printout, as long as it is the right measurement.
Then use an awl (or a pin) at each point, directly onto the wood.

Done.

Ok, Mark a central point on the sheet, draw a vertical line, use the protractor to measure 60 degrees, draw a line 60 away from original vertical line, repeat process. Then mark equal distances on the lines, finally join the dots up. Voila a perfect hexagon.
...and you might want to use a compass to draw a circle from the centre to intersect with the radial lines

Using the radius of a circle to mark out six segments is not recommended - because you get accumulated errors at each offset.
If you want to use a compass,
(1) draw out an equilateral triangle 3 times the length of one side of your hexagon.
(2) Trisect each of the 3 lines of your triangle. You can do this with a ruler, or with a compass. The 6 inner trisection points of the 3 lines are your hexagon.

The way I remember is draw a circle using dividers/compass
Then place the (same radius) compass point on the perimeter, and draw an arc across the perimeter.
Move to that intersection and repeat.
Join every intersection with a straight line.

Check that opposite sides are parallel

Am I over simplifying or got it wrong but can't one just draw a 468x270 rectangle which is pretty simple then set compass to 270, strike an arc off the 4 corners to mud point of longest sides and join it all up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back