help with new house alarm Accenta 8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First off I'm no expert in home alarms so would like some good advice!

my new house has a Accenta 8 alarm (says it on the control box), it has a keypad in the near the hall way (we have no codes at all). Now theres no power to the house for a while as it was vacant, when I power on the house, the alarm goes off and it sounds like the whole house has alarms? Anyway, i found the code to try (0123) but I recall this not making any difference at all, apart from the power light on the keypad, none of the zones light are on.

I noticed the smoke alarms have no battery (dont know if this is related) but sounds like a mini alarm going off, then a much louder alarm going off 3 secs after.

Now should I get an alarm expert in to service and reprogram this or is there something better out there for approx 2-300 bells alarm fitted?

I was looking at the Yale 6400 wireless alarm as I like the idea of arming the house at night from upstairs, using a remote wireless key when coming home and for the house to notify me by phone if it does go off when i'm not home.

Please advise as we are looking to paint the whole house (wires run around the house) very soon but in 2 minds whether to rip the wired system out or get it serviced and use it as is?

Any info is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
forgot to mention, i havent actually looked hard but it seems there only 2 PIR installed, not sure if there is any in the garage but the main control unit is there and guessing is where the main power is going to.

So visually it looks like a simple setup, i'm swaying towards a Yale 6400 as I know I can fit this and have options to expand (i know it seems to be a big thing with kit alarms vs pro installers) :p

NO do not fit the yale, have a look for the Accenta G4 online, this would be easy to fix in place of the old 8 mini if you wanted a complete replacement.
have a look for kits including PIRS, new external bellbox and other accessories.
I'm sure others will help as well as myself if you want to get the current setup working.

NO do not fit the yale, have a look for the Accenta G4 online, this would be easy to fix in place of the old 8 mini if you wanted a complete replacement.
have a look for kits including PIRS, new external bellbox and other accessories.
I'm sure others will help as well as myself if you want to get the current setup working.

As above

Sponsored Links
cool, sounds like a project!

so can you point me to the actual alarm box to buy? Am I right to assume that I can leave the current wires + PIR as is and use the new alarm to replace the box and keypad?

or should I call in the experts?

depends what type of panel you would want to fit, the one i have recommended is mainly installed by professionals but lots of others on this site have fitted it DIY.
no, reuse the old wires wherever possible and just fit new PIRS, external bell box, new control box, new keypad.
only call in professionals when all else has failed.
look on here: http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Are there any recommended installers in the se28 London area? I want to get this sorted ASAP as I have other stuff on my hand to deal with.

How much do you think a new g4 + install will cost using the existing cables? Trying to get a rough figure as currently the alarm goes off when I switch the power sockets on and we have no code to stop it.

I'll try 0123, then press program then 9999.

Is there anything I can try?

many thanks to oasistechnical for his very quick and informative help!

I now have another question, the alarm seems to be working fine, I've noticed that the bell box outside the front has a green and red flashing/strboe light. Its not that bright but noticeable, what does this mean?

I've not really noticed this before? I have been switching the power on and off a few times re-wiring the ceiling lights in the house?

Also its had a new battery fitted going via prog mode first.

any advice?

no idea, it just flashes red then green and repeats forever.

looks like 1 LED each.

The normal strobe will flash once a second probably white or blue depending on the lens, these are "comfort" Led`s.

is there a way to turn them off to test that its nothing more than comfort leds?

i remember reading some people see them as a fake alarm. i'd like to leave it not displaying like everyone else.

You might be able to cut them out, depends where they are in the circuit.
But I would keep them, dummy ones sit awkward yours are probably symmetrical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back