Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to replace my light fitting but having trouble with the wires.

I have three grey cables from the ceiling - two have earth, live & neutral but the third has just one wire coming from it and it has one lone red wire inside.

I have attached pictures of the wiring and would like to know how to wire up my new light fitting which only has brown, blue & earth.

I have been advised to terminate the two red wires into a block - is this correct for this fitting.

It is a double light switch that controls two lights.

Please help

Thanks Connie

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Is the picture of the existing working fitting?

If so just copy that to new light fitting, sometimes the light does come with a spare terminal for the live loop, which are cables in the red cables in the three central terminals of your picture/ceiling rose.
If a spare loop terminal is not provided, then you need to purchase/acquire an insulated terminal and connect all the live loop cables together.
The cable to the left are switch line and to the right neutral.

You would also need to connect all the earths together in the earth terminal of the light fitting.

But please note, that the picture posted shows a ceiling rose, which will likely have bayonet BC22 cap/lamp. If the new fitting has Edison Screw caps, then it must be verified, that the live line and neutral are in the correct polarity. As your picture does not identify that and it seems that the tails wires to the lamp are not terminated as they normally are.

Last edited:
Hi

Thank you for the prompt replies - where do I put the grey cable with the red wire inside? and for my clarity what is this cable?

Thanks Connie

Sponsored Links
The same place it is terminated at present.
If it is part of the live loop, then with the loop.
If it is terminated at the live line terminal, then there.

I assume the picture is of the existing working ceiling rose??

The picture is not easy to make out, exactly what is where.

Yes the picture is of the original ceiling rose - the grey single cable is wired into the brown wire side which I understand to be the live but on closer inspection this side is definitely marked N on the plastic part of the ceiling rose - this is why I am confused as the new light states brown is live - should I ignore these markings?

The light that has been taken down was a Edison small fitting bulb and not a bayonet fitting in reply to your earlier post - the light that is replacing it is a three led spotlight fitting - does this make any difference to the wiring.

Sorry for all the different questions - I have replaced every light fitting in the house with no problem but this one has me scratching my head.

I have put up some pictures if this helps clarification.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back