Help with planning a cable run for data cables

screenshot_1082.jpg

:eek:

Why have you highlighted that? How else do you expect me to power the SDS while i chisel out the back box.

Sponsored Links
It looked like a permanent arrangement of a plug with a flex running under the floorboards.

I think ban.. thought it was for a fixed appliance and being routed under the floor rather than a powertool, vacuum etc... which went under that loose floorboard

That's a surprising claim.

At my last place, I had 100 Mbit ethernet.
When i moved here I installed 1Gbit ethernet.
Now I have my first couple of devices with 10Gbit ports.
25 and 40 Gbit over twisted pair is starting to appear in exotic applications.

All of these technologies start in data centers, move into smaller businesses, and eventually into the home.

I have WiFi as well as wires, of course. In fact I have two wifi access points because one central box didn't reach the furthest corners due to thick walls, and the proximity of neighbours' networks. And the most difficult wiring I have installed was to connect to those wifi boxes.

All very true but particularly for the domestic market everything's moving towards wireless, I think it's only a matter of time before we see devices which won't even have the capability of being plugged in.
5g is going to have double the capacity of usable band width than your 10Gbit port, obviously it's hard to predict what new and exotic data hungry devices we may have in the home of the future, but in reality if the convenient option is capable then the wired option will die

Sponsored Links
it's only a matter of time before we see devices which won't even have the capability of being plugged in.

???? There are obviously already many such devices! Like the iPad I'm writing this on!

5g is going to have double the capacity of usable band width than your 10Gbit port

Nonsense. Perhaps you've read that it's going to operate at 20 GHz?

Until we have wireless 230v with rcd protection -I will lay in the containment :giggle:………

DS

but in reality if the convenient option is capable then the wired option will die
Let's hope not - if nothing else I for one would be very concerned about changing/setting security settings over a wireless connection to a device with its factory default settings in place. One security step I have taken with my modem/router is to disable admin logon via wireless.

As long as it has one physical port, wired won't die, because wired switches won't.

Wireless Ethernet and nG etc are essential for devices which you move about, like phones and tablets. They are great to have as well on devices which you sometimes move about, like laptops. Apart from installation convenience, they are inferior for things which you don't move about, like printers, desktop/tower/rack-mount PCs, TVs etc.

I think that means the backend service hasn't heard from the TRV recently. You might want to make sure it has a good connection to the hub. Try moving the hub closer to the radiator and see if that helps.

If not, you can try deleting it and repairing it through the web interface.
I know it's not an option for this application, but here is an excellent example of why wireless is never to be preferred over wired if wired is a practical option.

All very true but particularly for the domestic market everything's moving towards wireless, I think it's only a matter of time before we see devices which won't even have the capability of being plugged in.

Already here - Amazon Echo. Daft omission IMO.

Indeed, and isn't that true of most (all?) tablets, not to mention phones?

Kind Regards, John

Well yes - but those are portable devices so I excuse them. The Echo is not designed to be moved around, it sits in one place in the room.

Well yes - but those are portable devices so I excuse them. The Echo is not designed to be moved around, it sits in one place in the room.
Indeed - but the comment to which I responded came long before anyone (you!) mentioned the Echo!

Kind Regards, John

I contacted my local building control for advice but their reply was pretty non-committal as I expected but they included some semi useful reference material.

We do not provide the information requested. The information is available in the current edition of the TRADA Span Tables which has to be purchased from TRADA. THIS information is, however, based on it.

NHBC have guidance in this respect HERE, but this may be more onerous as it will be based on limiting the risk of claims.

My prediction:
In a few years time, wireless will be all but unusable in many areas ...
You're a few years late !
I recall reading a while ago (as in, a good few years) where someone did a study which showed that in some urban areas, there's such a density of wireless that 95% of available bandwidth was taken up with signalling/control leaving just 5% (of what was then "up to" 54M) for the users to share between them. In terms of "numbers of networks" things have only got worse, though the advancement into the 5.8G band and 802.11ac standard have significantly improved things.

Then, I was looking around a new house the other month and asked about network cables. When I explained "for connecting the computers" I got the answer "aren't they all wireless these days ?" :rolleyes: SO the best I'm going to be able to do is try and run a cable or two either tucked under the skirting or under the edge of the carpet and hope the carpet fitters can hide them - and it'll be fun going up the stairs :eek:

I didn't use any rigid conduit due to limit space between joists etc... ...

That's going to be fun, with all that protrusion into the box, with a lot of fittings you'll find that things just don't fit. I generally use white oval - for the simple reason that in this house, the brick is so 'kin hard (and the mortar soft) that chasing anything else in is going to be "difficult". I use nibblers to expand the knockouts so that I can get the end of the conduit flush with the inside face of the box - and no more.

I once found I couldn't replace an FCU (****ing tenant had painted the fittings to the wall) because the replacement didn't have enough clearance for the single 2.5mm² T&E coming into the side of the box, and that was without any protrusion from the conduit into the box :(

Yeah not too many cables could fit in there but I had 35/40mm back boxes which helped. The main reason for that depth and the large conduit was due to me adding HDMI cables and there wasn't a great selection of long lengths with thin heads at the time or reasonably priced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back