help with removing thermostatic shower cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,
My thermostatic cartridge has malfunctioned and I am trying to replace it. I have a replacement to hand but am having difficulty removing the old one.

I have attached pictures to show the long spindle/shaft along with the 'bit' that grips onto some tool allowing me to twist it off.

The plumber that installed it has moved away so unable to help me.

But I recall some kind of long hollow cylindrical tube with a wrench on the end or something.

I have called a plumber over who was unable to help, been to 4 plumbers merchants and halfords (incase of a tool available off the shelf that may help) but had no joy.

I'm posting here hoping someone may know the name of the tool I require. I can then find the correct size etc.

further info
No name brand bought off ebay in 2008, worked since then. Seller advised to use pliers? or adj. wrench.
sent replacement cartridge f.o.c
cannot find anyone or a tool to remove and replace it.

I hope thats enough information and someone can help.

Many thanks

Amjag

Sponsored Links
Hey John,

Yes, unfortunately it is very deeply recessed!
Not a chance to get anything remotely close to it.

Its gonna be some kind of long, hollow, cylindrical tube with appropriate 'gripping points' on the end.
Amjag

Yep, that sure could be an awkward one.....certainly I know of no tool that is purpose made for this.
So - if it was mine......I'd measure the distance across the brass flats, and then find a box (tube) spanner that had the same internal dimensions - or close to them anyway.
Then I'd cut away 4 of the hexagonal flats so only 2 opposite flats remained - if you get my drift.
The modified box spanner would pass over the stem of the cartridge and locate on the hexagonal flats. Hopefully turning the spanner would undo the cartridge, but if the 'jaws' tended to spread I'd reinforce things by using a jubilee clip to prevent this.
A typical box spanner is Toolstation 43996 if you don't know what I mean, but I don't know if this particular one is the right size.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for those suggestions John + Andytw.

Am going to head on over to toolstation and see if I can find a box spanner that fits, or a close fit which I can cut/modify.

I will also get a small section of pipe that fits and see if I can get a metalworks to 'make' a two pronged tool.

Im going to spray a little wd40 on the old one to see if it may help things become unstuck!

I appreciate the help :)

Amjag

Hey Amjag,

What Ebay shop did you get this cartridge from?

Im trying to locate one but cant see to find it anywhere

Thanks

Jag

Don't use eBay
Use the shower doctor
Send them a photo of the shower. They will identify it and you get
The right part , first time

I think I need this cartridge...

Replacement part sent from supplier is too short..

This looks like the one...

Waiting for the supplier to get back to me...

Will try shower doctor also...

and if all fails...

Anyone have one of these they do't want.

Attachments

• 20161209_145143.jpg
    20161209_145143.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 590
Or maybe some kind of stem extender ?

The handle on the old one was stuck on, yes grub screw was the first thing removed... a plumber could not get it off after we called one in to have a look,

I dont want to have too tear down the wall to put in a new unit if I can avoid..

I live in hope :)

hmm maybe I should start a new thread ?

Get a long series socket and cut off side to the depth of the thickness of the brass,then use it and keep it for future use the socket will cost £25-00p and you have it forever.Bob

shower doctor would probably have an answer to your question if its a marketed shower and not someones frankensteins effort

hi amjag
could you tell me when did you get the catridge
if on ebay have you got any info about the seller
on any one knows where an i get exacly the same need two

I've got the same cartridge (and same problem) and have managed to fashion a tool (using 6 inches of pipe) but now I need to find a replacement cartridge (providing I can get the old one out using some WD40). Did you mange to find a cartridge on ebay to match - I've been suffering for 5 years trying to regulate the temperature

Ken of kent

hi amjag
Could you tell me what make is this Cartridge please as i need to replace one .
could you let me please

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back