my mate need to change an outside light

i have a picture of the new light wiring connections

the wire for it has 2 black wires and 1 red wire

just need to know where to put them ;)

thanks
IMG_4300.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
For the light, the terminals from left to right as in the picture are L, N, E and switched L.
If it's a single light and not controlling or connected to any others, only L N and E are required.

As for the wiring you have with 2 black and one red - it's anyone's guess what they are, and where is the necessary earth connection?

Oh. I have twice posted an amended picture with L, N & E marked but neither has appeared. ???

cheers, there is no earth on the old wiring, and i think the 2 blacks might me possibly because the old light was switchable from 2 different switches,
i'll check with my mate

Oh. I have twice posted an amended picture with L, N & E marked but neither has appeared. ???
As you may have noticed, I had that problem a couple of times yesterday. In the end I reduced the size of the piccies and they then posted immediately, with no problems - I don't know whether that was a co-incidence or what!

Kind Regards, John

I think that happens with Copy and Paste, but not if you put them into your Album.

Are the two blacks and one red all contained in the same cable sheath?

Could it be that one of the "blacks" is the earth wire sleeved with a length of insulation removed from a black conductor?

I have seen this before.

If this is the case, you would need to test the conductors to be sure of their function before connecting to the new fitting.

I think that happens with Copy and Paste, but not if you put them into your Album.
Yes, I think that's right - but I've more-or-less given up putting things in my album since the (quicker/easier) copy/paste became available. The problem only seems to arise occasionally - so it's probably a 'bug', rather than a 'feature'!

Kind Regards, John

This looks like a security light bought from BnQ for £9? ;)

hi

having been and checked, the original wire is nothing like my mate described

it has 4 wires

green and yellow
brown
black with a short sleeve (black/brown hard to tell)
IMG_4312.JPG

grey with a short blue sleeve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back