Help with slow leaking close coupled toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Have a modern newish toilet cistern - 2 years old. Have noticed that the cistern keeps refilling for no reason.
The water is very slowly leaking into the pan
I have turned off the water supply, and within a couple of hours the cistern is completely empty.
I have tried cleaning the flapper? with a cloth and by hand, and have refilled the cistern with a cup full of bleach and ran that all through again, but with same result?
Problem is, I cannot get access to the underneath of the cistern as it is close-coupled?
How do I remove/inspect/replace the flapper?
Any ideas?
albums
19000_18318_58761_72051922_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
have you used bleach in the cistern before ?

never ever put bleach in a cistern it destroys the rubber washers

Sponsored Links
Just goes to show that not everything you read from google is the truth.

Try cleaning the seat of the valve as well as the flapper if you haven't done so already.

I suspect you may need a new flush valve though, this will mean taking the cistern off the pan to access the nut.

EDIT: HertsDrainage beat me to it :oops:

Turn off the water to the cistern, flush the toilet and grip the flush valve and turn anti clock wise. (about a 1/4 of a turn and lift out) It will come undone then you can remove and inspect the flush valve washer, you may find a replacement washer.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fl...Ace2PZiEgcgL&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=653

Andy
Thanks Andy, it does look as though it should come undone, but, the whole thing moves, and I can't get underneath to undo any fixings? When I try and turn it 1/4 turn, should I be looking at just the top bit coming off, or the whole thing?

The whole thing should come out leaving a securing nut that goes through the cistern. If you look at the sides of the valve you can see lugs that go into a slot either side of the valve. You can see one of them in your picture.

Try again, if the whole thing turns then try and hold the base still with your left hand while turn the upper part with your right. Once it is apart you will understand how it works and see the washer.

Andy

The whole thing should come out leaving a securing nut that goes through the cistern. If you look at the sides of the valve you can see lugs that go into a slot either side of the valve. You can see one of them in your picture.

Try again, if the whole thing turns then try and hold the base still with your left hand while turn the upper part with your right. Once it is apart you will understand how it works and see the washer.

Andy
Brilliant, thanks for the clear explanation. I'll have a go and update later. Cheers

It's possible if the flush valve is loose the water may be leaking past the nut rather than past the washer. A good clean and tighten and all may be sorted with no parts bought. But this would mean taking the cistern off and possibly a new doughnut.

It's possible if the flush valve is loose the water may be leaking past the nut rather than past the washer. A good clean and tighten and all may be sorted with no parts bought. But this would mean taking the cistern off and possibly a new doughnut.
Yes, I've just managed to remove the flush valve, and the bit that's left actually twists all the way around? I'm assuming it shouldn't! I can see the drip of the water and it must be coming through the nut itself. I can't feel or see any washer, but, there is some sort of putty which is soft and coming away in bits?
View media item 58767[/img]

There's no way to sort this without taking the cistern off.

Once you've removed the cistern (should be two bolts and the float valve) I would use some silicone sealant on the valve, do the nut up medium tight, reassemble and it should be fixed.

If there's a rubber washer, you won't need the silicone sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back