Installing a close coupled toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I need to install a close coupled toilet, but the waste hole is too far from the wall and there will be a gap between cistern and the wall(). Do I need to fix the cistern to the wall somehow (piece of wood or long screws) or is it Ok to leave it sitting on the toilet pan only?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
You may get some assistance from a swan neck pan connector (which doubles back on itself to a small degree).
If you cant adjust the outlet, then you can fix a bearer behind the cistern or do some creative boxing....don't let the cistern pivot loose.
John :)

You may get some assistance from a swan neck pan connector (which doubles back on itself to a small degree).
If you cant adjust the outlet, then you can fix a bearer behind the cistern or do some creative boxing....don't let the cistern pivot loose.

Thanks

I am using the swan neck connector, there is still some gap. What kind of bearer are you talking about, can you point me to some picture please?

When I say bearer, any piece of timber of the appropriate thickness and fixed to the wall will do - just to support the cistern.
There's actually no need to screw the cistern in place if you don't want to, a line of silicone will hold it tight.

Sponsored Links
, a line of silicone will hold it tight.

Not the whole tube of silicone that someone used on a close coupled toilet that I had to change the syphon on recently. Oh, and the steel screws holding cistern to wall (like it really needed more fixings as well as all the sili :rolleyes: ) had corroded and the phillips heads were unuseable. Jeez, did I have fun with that one? :evil: :evil: It was a favour for a mate, so not even on the clock. :cry:

Remember the cistern has to come off for maintenance occasionally. If screwing to the wall, use brass screws.

Remember the cistern has to come off for maintenance occasionally. If screwing to the wall, use brass screws.

I don't like the screw heads up against the pot cisterns especially as the holes are usually a bit big, so I use brass screws through a couple of traditional bath tap washers. The washers are a snug fit to a 5 size metric screw.

As for the pan connection I would imagine the pan can't go much further back with the drain where it is but if it could, have you considered an offset connector in tandem with your current connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back