puzzels about choosing a toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem. Please forgive me if I can not describe it in a pro- way.

My old house has a toilet with separated cistern and toilet pan. A tube connected the cistern and the toilet pan for flashing. The drain hole is on the floor. A 90 degree bend drain connector was used.

Now, I have to install a new one-piece toilet, i.e, the cistern and the toilet pan are fixed together. In order to chose one which fit the drain hole position, the important data is the distance between the edge of the outlet and the wall(back of the cistern). So when it is installed, the cistern will be back the wall without gap. However, it is hardly to find any information of it. There are some flexible pan connector can be bent 90 degree. But the minimum distance it needs is about 20cm. I cannot find the toilet with this distance between the outlet edge to the back of the cistern.

Any professional plumbers or good DIYers got good ideas?

I hope I explained it clearly.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at bottom outlet toilets? Just measure off the wall to the centre of the waste pipe and shop around for one that fits.Or try a swan neck pan connector if you need to get closer to the wall.

If you have a wooden floor, moving the soil pipe may be possible. (it's possible with a concrete floor too, but it would be hard work!)

Building out the wall behind the cistern with studwork and plasterboard is sometimes a viable option.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I searched the web and found only at plumbDepot. The toilets are on delivery only. It does not give the distance between the outlet and the wall. I will call them and see if they have the measurement on record. It is quite expensive. £200+delivery charge!!!

Have you looked at bottom outlet toilets? Just measure off the wall to the centre of the waste pipe and shop around for one that fits.Or try a swan neck pan connector if you need to get closer to the wall.

The swan neck one is too high. The outlet center to the floor is usually 18-20cm. The swan neck is 35 cm high. I do not know if there are short version of the swan neck. Thank you!

Have you tried a swan neck connector?

It is wooden floor. I will see if it is possible to move the soil pipe. I never thought about this idea!! Thank you very much.

I thought about the studwork or plasterboard behind the cistern. This will be the last way to sort things out. It will make the small space even smaller. Thank you very much.

How lucky I am to have so many people help me! I really appreciate it.

If you have a wooden floor, moving the soil pipe may be possible. (it's possible with a concrete floor too, but it would be hard work!)

Building out the wall behind the cistern with studwork and plasterboard is sometimes a viable option.

Swan neck pan connectors should have removable fins, you should be able to trim it down a bit, or if the soil pipe is plastic you can trim a bit of that too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back