Help with slow leaking close coupled toilet

Sponsored Links
Hi again.

Managed to unscrew the flush valve and the other part that actually fits into the waste.
This part just unscrewed - there is no bolt under the cistern holding it in place. There is a rubber washer under the valve, and I'm pretty sure this is where the leak is.
I cleaned away all the gunk (plumbers mait?), and reassembled, but, when screwing back up, the lugs don't align up so I have to leave it about 1/4 turn lose.
Should I reapply the gunk, as I don't see how I'm ever going tighten enough to stop the leak?

From the top down, you should have:

The flush valve

The flush valve base

A rubber washer

The bottom of the cistern

And a large nut that holds the flush valve base in place.

If you haven't taken the cistern off, the nut will now be sitting in the space below the cistern.

You can't put it back together without taking the cistern off.

Mind you, if it's gunked up in plumbers' mait it's probably been bodged before. Maybe it is time for a new flush valve, they're not terribly expensive.

Sponsored Links
From the top down, you should have:

The flush valve

The flush valve base

A rubber washer

The bottom of the cistern

And a large nut that holds the flush valve base in place.

If you haven't taken the cistern off, the nut will now be sitting in the space below the cistern.

You can't put it back together without taking the cistern off.

Mind you, if it's gunked up in plumbers' mait it's probably been bodged before. Maybe it is time for a new flush valve, they're not terribly expensive.
Definately no nut underneath. I can get my hand down the drain hole and there's nothing underneath. The flush valve base seems to thread up tight, just doesn't align up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back