Help with Storage Tank / Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I would like to remove the header tank that is situated above my hot water cylinder in my ground floor flat.

I have connected my taps up to the mains, which are fine obviously. The only thing is, I know that I am not going to be able to hook up my immersion hot water tank up - its only rated for 1.45 bar. Mains is likely to be between 1.5-4 afaik.

Now, this storage tank above MUST go. So I'm thinking either...

A. Making some sort of mini toilet cistern to sit ontop of the cylinder to remove the pressure.

B. Some sort of uprated Steel or Alu cylinder tank?

Can anyone tell me if I am likely to find an uprated tank?

I can take pictures if that helps!

Thanks for any input.[/u]

Sponsored Links
You need to be carefull as your entering the unvented world! This is not for a diyer! Special cylinder, safety devices etc or you've built youself a big bomb!

I wouldnt go for the cistern on top of tank as you'll have almost zero pressure. You would then have to pump all the services which can be very noisy!

Could you tell me about the safety devices please?

Its ok, I avoided the bomb narrowly.

I've plumbed my mothers villa in, which was all off of pumped wells.

Never had to deal with cylinder tank in this way.

Suggestions?

"Now, this storage tank above MUST go"

Why?

Sponsored Links
Due to alterations of the property, I now only have my linnen cupboard left.
So tank is going, and either the cylinder gets a saftey valve or small header tank and shoved to the back.

Either that or an electrical combi boiler? Do they work off mains pressure like gas boilers?

It really needs to be done for extra storage space.

OK.

So you WANT it to go.

How much are you willing to pay per extra cubic metre of space?

As your in a flat i would remove tank above AND cylinder
Then install a combi boiler(use a corgi installer) bingo :D

Soneji said:
Due to alterations of the property, I now only have my linnen cupboard left.
So engage a heating engineer to do the heating engineering. :rolleyes:

So tank is going, and either the cylinder gets a saftey valve...
... which would be an illegal thing for you to do without more qualifications...

...or small header tank and shoved to the back.
That would work. Do you have a shower installed?

Either that or an electrical combi boiler?
That would be somewhat more expensive and would take longer to have installed than re-siting the F&E cistern.

Do they work off mains pressure like gas boilers?
That rather depends on what you mean by "work off mains pressure".

It really needs to be done for extra storage space.
So why haven't you done it yet?

So engage a heating engineer to do the heating engineering. :rolleyes:

Why should I? When everything else to date has been done by myself?

... which would be an illegal thing for you to do without more qualifications...

Illegal? You will need to point out those laws that apply to Scotland, as I am not aware of anything that applies to water supply. Gas yes, but I have none in my property. So what are you talking about?

That would work. Do you have a shower installed?

Shower is electrical and runs off the mains.

That would be somewhat more expensive and would take longer to have installed than re-siting the F&E cistern.

I've heard 500 quid upwards. It is really only for the kitchen and bathroom hot tap.

Well, a combi boiler water feed is mains pressure. I presume this would be the same with an electrical one?

Done what yet? Take the tank away? That is why I am posting on here perhaps?

so you dont have gas :(

I would then install a direct megaflow which is a mains fed cylinder then you can get rid of the damn tank :D

P.S. thesafety valve comes with the megaflow ( 3bar presure relief)

gasandoilman said:
so you dont have gas :(

I would then install a direct megaflow which is a mains fed cylinder then you can get rid of the damn tank :D

P.S. thesafety valve comes with the megaflow ( 3bar presure relief)

Thank you, thats what I needed. Advice! :)

Yes no Gas :( Would cost nearly 18 Grand for transco to pipe up the street.

Do you have a link or could recommend somewhere I could look for a direct megaflow? I'm expecting a call back from the water board on Monday with a better estimate of my streets water pressure.

Soneji said:
Why should I?
Because you don't have enough knowledge and you're evidently in a hurry to get the work done.

When everything else to date has been done by myself?
Then either you weren't in such a hurry then or you've not done it competently.

Illegal? You will need to point out those laws that apply to Scotland, as I am not aware of anything that applies to water supply. Gas yes, but I have none in my property. So what are you talking about?
If you're Scotland and don't have the equivalent of the Building Regulations that apply in England and Wales, then I stand corrected. However, those regulations are statutory here for reason of safety, and you'd be well advised to gain the necessary skills and knowledge before you tackle an unvented water store.

I've heard 500 quid upwards. It is really only for the kitchen and bathroom hot tap.
Just to confirm - how many cisterns do you have in the loft?

Well, a combi boiler water feed is mains pressure. I presume this would be the same with an electrical one?
In that case the answer is "yes" - they work off mains pressure in the way that you mean.

Done what yet?
Move the cistern.

Take the tank away?
No.

Thank you, thats what I needed. Advice!
And that's what I gave you when I advocated engaging a heating engineer.

You can go to plumb cener they are all over the country or look on line.ignore the prices on there site ring them as you get discount in the store :)

If you cant wait for water bourd goto your diy store and get a water presure gauge its about £10 and screws onto your washing machine valve.

Soneji said:

Yes, you must be properly trained, and hold a certificate to prove it, to install unvented cyclinders. See the Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations which state "...the installation, commissioning and maintenance of the system is carried out by a person with suitable training and practical experience."
You should be expecting there to be regulations for such devices, you appear to assume that there is not - which is not a good way to go about this - Scotland or not.

Why don't you use a combination cylinder? especially as you are only supplying 3 (?) hot taps.

You are right you should be registered,but he knows that and carrying on regardless!!!

If he lives near me im glad hes getting advice and do it right.
I done the unvented course and the hardest part was trying to stay awake :LOL:

I think a direct cylinder he cant go wrong :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back