Help with turning radiator on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all! Possibly the most ridiculous-sounding thread title, but never mind.

Moved into a flat, bunch of (seemingly very unusual) radiators, but all working well.

There is one, more modern, radiator in the kitchen, and this one doesn't turn on when the others do. It doesn't seem to have a valve cap, or any dial to turn. Two identical valves on either side, attached picture of one. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get it to turn on?!

If relevant, I have a Range Tribune hot water cylinder and a small Potterton boiler (not combi). Connected via a Hive thermostat system.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Ooops. Schoolboy. Thanks for spotting Madrab!

DSC_0058.JPG

Try to turn that flat on the spindle with an adjustable spanner, Mark......very carefully by the look of it! Anticlockwise for on.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John! I did actually try that, but it seemed incredibly stiff and I was scared of damaging it. I'll have another go. Presumably I do it on both the valves on either side?

It's possible one of them is already open and the other closed. It only takes one turned too far down to shut off the flow.

Start off gently then try increasing amounts of force in both directions until you get some movement.

Awesome, thanks Jackthom. Will give it a go when I get back home this evening. Appreciate everyone's super quick help!

Just to say thanks again to all - managed to get the valve open (as you said Jackthom, it was turned completely off and so had turned the flow off entirely).

Thanks!

Just to point out that you could simply be missing the cap, it could be a valve something like this...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/angled-ra...g - Plumbing&gclid=CJOg1ci248gCFSr3wgodvAoANg

On most modern systems the lockshield valve on one end of the radiator looks like the one in your pic, and it has a cover/cap over it to stop you adjusting it. The other end would probably have a thermostatic control valve (TRV) with the numbers etc on it for adjusting the temp. However it's common on older systems to have a lockshield style valve on both ends, and one has a cover/cap to stop you adjusting it...but the other end has the same valve but which you can adjust by turning the knob (as per the pic in the link).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back