Help with weird light-switch wiring in living room

Going to go for it and suggest the answer :)

On the one that is on all the time, you see there are two connections with red wires in?, swap them over (so the two red ones on the outside that go to the lamp drop are in the centre loop terminal, and the single one in loop now goes to the brown)

Then get a multimeter and check the operation of both switches, and then the continuity of the dual red cable that runs between L1 and L2 on one to the same on the other switch

Sponsored Links
NO, don't buy one of those horrible screwdriver things!! :evil: Buy a multimeter capable of measuring resistance and volts AC (min 250v)

Spark123 said:
NO, don't buy one of those horrible things!! :evil: Buy a multimeter capable of measuring resistance and volts AC (min 250v)

My meter's not a bad one - an Iso-tech I bought from RS so that should be OK. For some reason I had it in my mind that I'd be testing mains without having a ground to connect to, which was stupid of me :) I'll use the meter then tomorrow, or try out Adam's suggestion of swapping those wires for now anyway.. hmmm :eek:

Isotech should be fine, providing it can measure volts AC. You have an earth at the rose and at each back box btw. Never use yourself as a path for measuring electricity, it isn't worth it.

Sponsored Links
Sweeeet :D

All working now! Both lights come on/off together, from either switch. Super!

Spark123, Adam, thank you very much! I'm really pleased. What a great forum :)

Got a belt off my bros screwdriver, meter from now on,spark123, never looked at it like that :eek:

Never use yourself as a path for measuring electricity, it isn't worth it.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back