Help with well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all- looking for some advice if possible. I recently moved house (built circa 1770s) and there's a well in the garden. It's currently covered with wooden planks- underneath which there's some wire/half a metal cover. There's also a drainpipe that's running from my neighbours shed underneath the fence and into it.

I don't know really know where to start with this. I'm not interested in using the water but I'm open to the idea of putting a light & glass cover over the top.

Do I need to check the water quality?
Do I need to get the drainpipe removed?
Do I need to check the structure of the well itself?
How would I go about removing the metal towards the top?

Any help massively appreciated! Interested as to whether anyone know any business' that deal with renovating/repairing/tidying up old wells?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20231114-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20231114-WA0020.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
I think any glass cover you put over that will get skanky and mouldy/ridden with condensation in no time.

If your gonna use the water then of course yes.

Where does it come from?

Are you going to get it removed?

Why would you want to remove it when your not going to use the water?

Drain pipe is just rainwater from neighbours shed.

If the well is structurally sound I'm thinking of making it a feature.

Want to get rid of the metal as it's ugly and like I say, thinking of making it a feature.

Sponsored Links
Well I don't see how you will ever prevent that on a wet well outside in the UK. Frosted glass I suppose would help to hide all that muck but rather defeats the object. Glass would need to take someone jumping on it you know that'd cost a fortune right?

Should surface water be directed into a well as it bypasses the natural filtration process as it percolate through the ground into the water table

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back