Help with wiring colours, Black Blue & Earth!! on a cook

A photo would probably have got you a useful reply a lot quicker...

Sponsored Links
This was a query posted by lloydadam back in 2008
"I'm fitting in a new Neff built under cooker, but I'm not 100% sure with the wires.

The Wires from the wall are the normal -RED , BLACK & BARE EARTH.
But the wires in the cooker are - BLACK , BLUE & a EARTH PLATE.

Can someone confirm which is the live wire in the cooker, is it the Black or Blue ?"

Just as an update...here we are 3 years later and I'm going through the same thing myself (having googled myself here).. having a Neff built under delivered this morning.

So frustrating.
However, I've downloaded all the instruction and fitting documents, which say virtually nothing about wire colours except for a diagram that shows.
220-240v - (an earth symbol) - L - N
I've rung Neff who say that they cannot tell me anything over the phone, but have emailed me 2 complicated connection diagrams - meaningless to me, and certainly don't show the colour of each terminal.
Sod all in any F***g manual, download,customer service dept etc etc (I can imagine lloydadams frustration at taylortwocities help :rolleyes: )

So...I have supply cable with yellow/green, blue and brown which needs to connect to earth (yellow /green) a black and a blue in the cooker.
Logic tells me that it will be blue to blue (neutral) and that only leaves brown to black?

Can someone confirm which is the live wire in the cooker, is it the Black or Blue ?

It will be the black. Continental appliances, cordage etc. often use black for a single phase (live) instead of brown.

Sponsored Links
Dearest Mr Two towns
is the sky black where you are.
The point of my post was that Neff continue to be unhelpful with connection help.
I followed the advise given three year ago on here, combined with a phone a friend help..that indeed the Germans use black as the live terminal.

My apologies Steve - I think I misread your earlier post as being you asking for confirmation again about the wiring, when upon looking more closely again I realize that you were in fact quoting the original question to comment upon it.

Dearest Mr Two towns
is the sky black where you are.

It isn't at the moment but it will be in about 30 minutes.

But really, I was working on the basis that three years ago the advice given was that the live is the black. The poster did not come back and say that was the wrong wiring. He could be dead, of course.....

Maybe you could share with us the actual Neff model that you have.
"built under" is rather a broad church...

Hi guys
First off, I joined your forum because
a) Its rather good
b) If you google neff wiring, you get to the forum
I was just amazed to find that the same issue had occured 3 years ago..and nothing has changed.
I wanted really to give a 'heads up' to anyone, like me, didn't really want to pay out for an electrician to come out to connect 3 wires.

The model is U17M72NOGB, which doesn't really matter...its a 'built under' ie, it fits under a work top. All the built under models are pretty much the same give or take some features.

My frustration started to build when after ringing Neff, I was told that they wouldn't give any advise over the phone, but would send me the model circuit diagram, which is next to useless in identifying the colour of the wires to terminals.
The instruction manuals (there are several you can download) again, as 3 years ago, say bugger all about wiring connections, apart from a cryptic diagram.- oh, and that you should use and pay for a qualified trained expert. (it came close)

Of course the right advise was given 3 years ago...but to be honest I wasn't getting any corroboration that it was the correct advise. Maybe lloydadam decided against the advise and got himself zapped.. I dunno.
Especially when I'd rung a friend, who told me that my new cooker had two 'Neutral' terminals. He rang back later to say that he had learnt that the black one was now in fact 'live', but the blue remained 'neutral'.

Anyway...I got there in the end, and can only hope that anyone else buying a Neff cooker, can learn from this and wire up the cooker quite easily.
Oh...and it does do pretty brilliant pizzas.
Thanks
Steve

Sorry to dredge up this old topic but I found it extremely useful in my hour of need with my new Neff oven.

Having had the same unhelpful response from Neff customer support I have discovered that the terminals are actually marked with L and N but you need a torch to be able to see them. They are as clear as day with a light shining on them but almost invisible without.

I hope this helps anyone else who stumbles across this.

This only goes to prove how useful this site is! Posts several years old can assist someone who can get no sense from the manufacturers. And we have to follow manufacturer's instructions - - - - even when they contain text like "and like it much you will"??????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back