wiring a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wires on the wall are red, yellow/green and black, the wires from the cooker are blue, bare copper and brown which goes where please??

Sponsored Links
red - brown
bare copper (sleeved green/yellow) - green/yellow
black - blue

Not being funny or anything, but are you really sure you are capable of doing this work?

diywhat said:
The wires on the wall are red, yellow/green and black, the wires from the cooker are blue, bare copper and brown which goes where please??

Red goes with the brown
Black goes with blue
bare copper should have green/yellow sleaving

all the above are true, but i am wondering how you intened to connect them?

Sponsored Links
twist n tape :rolleyes: ;)

But seriously, get a correctly rated junction box with screw terminals and use that.

that is your suggestion, i wonder what poster was thinking of doing, sice they have no idea about colour codes that have been out for years.

I was also thinking of a different way

breezer said:
that is your suggestion, i wonder what poster was thinking of doing, sice they have no idea about colour codes that have been out for years.

I was also thinking of a different way

well why dont you help him out and advice him on how to connect it properly/safely, and share this secretive other way you was thinking about :LOL:

matt

becuase i am of the opinion they are not competant to do the job in the first place, since as i previously said they had to ask about colours that changed umpteen years ago

Thanks for your help and the sarcastic remarks.

Funny isnt it the actual bag the wiring came in said red, green/yellow and black but the wiring inside was the brown, copper and blue??? So if its changed sooooooooo many years ago like some of you said, why arent isnt the wiring being sold with the right colour code??

And just in case you were worried (or not!) the cooker was installed by an electrician in the end - BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

diywhat said:
Funny isnt it the actual bag the wiring came in said red, green/yellow and black but the wiring inside was the brown, copper and blue??? So if its changed sooooooooo many years ago like some of you said, why arent isnt the wiring being sold with the right colour code??
The brown/blue has been around in flexable cables for years. It has only come in fixed installation cables since around March 2004 (harmonization with Europe). Prior to this red/black was the norm for 1ph fixed install cables.

well the bare copper wire is supposed to be covered with green/yellow sleeving.

as for the red/black to brown/blue that transition only happened for fixed wiring cables recently so its not surprising some stuff is still out of date.

diywhat said:
So if its changed sooooooooo many years ago like some of you said
That really does read as if you don't believe that it changed a long time ago, or as if it's come as news to you.

Appliance flex colours have been Brown, Blue & Yellow/Green since 1968.

Nobody who had so much as successfully wired a plug in the last 37 years would need to ask which colours were which.

I am a 22 year old woman who cares for her disabled mother. We have just got a new cooker and couldnt afford to have someone install it. I havent even changed a plug in my life never mind knowing what colours what! After reading this thread ive installed the cooker myself and had no problems at all! So all the sarcastic remarks are quite silly! If you have common sense whats the problem!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back