wiring new cooker into existing black/red wiring in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just bought a new modern cooker.

I disconnected mains and took the old one away safely.

However, low down behind the cooker is a wall unit where it was wired in to. Inside there are 3 connectors - one is RED one is BLACK and the earth wire was in the middle. These wires go from this unit into the wall and up to a switch higher up where you can turn off power to the cooker.

I wasnt expecting them to be red & black tho..! Isn't this very old wiring? The house was built in the 80's not 60/70's!!

I am not unsure of how to connect a new HO5 RRF 3 core x 6mm cable as the manual suggests as the colours of that will be Blue & Brown plus Gree/Yellow for earth - but I know this goes in the middle where I took the old one out.

I know one is live and one is neutral but which is it?!?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Red to Brown (Line)
Black to Blue (Neutral)
Earth to Earth (Green yellow)

Thanks for this..!

Just out of curiosity - what would happen if i got them the wrong way around?! The cooker seems to be on its own circuit as there is a fuse for it amongst the others for the other rooms/lights etc..

It would just blow the fuse right?! No damage to the cooker??

LASTLY - most importantly... lol...

When I open the electrical area on the back of the cooker itself - there are 2 connectors for Neutral and 3 Live connectors.. is this because one is for the hob part, 1 for the grill and 1 for the oven?! So that they can all be used independently?! (also 1 for earth!)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this..!

When I open the electrical area on the back of the cooker itself - there are 2 connectors for Neutral and 3 Live connectors.. is this because one is for the hob part, 1 for the grill and 1 for the oven?! So that they can all be used independently?! (also 1 for earth!)

Thanks for this..!

Normally the Line connectors will have metal links between them you connect the line to one of the terminals. Sometimes they are for separate parts of the oven but then again sometimes they are for individual elements on the hob. Not an issue unless you have taken them apart!

ok.. yes they have brown/copper links between them - can see that.

the wire I have for this job has several wires within each sheath.

i assume it is good practice to spread the load to to speak and wire in 2 per screw on the back of the cooker?!

nathan you are asking most basic questions, are you sure it would'nt be better to get someone in before you do damage either to yourself or the cooker!!

umm.. i spread them 2/3 wires per terminal without realising you had posted saying not to...!

it works.. im still alive..

do i need to switch them all in to 1 terminal??!

ok i will put them all into 1 terminal.. next logical question is which one?! lol
does it make any difference. i will also speak to an electrcian.

thanks for all your help!!!!

It doesn't really matter which one as long as it corresponds with the wire you are terminating of course. I normally choose ones that make it easier to dress the cable into the enclosure and keep it looking neat. Make sure it is nice and tight as there will be alot of current there and if it isn't tight enough you will get arking and a heat build up. Make sure your connections are also nice and tight in the cooker connection unit on the wall.

ok thanks 1john!! appreciated.

they are nice and tight. to be honest.. i wouldnt have attempted this job if i didnt think i could do it competently. it was always just a case of having the know-how to acheive it safely..if that makes sense! ;)

I was in cardiff on friday, funnily enough fitting a new hob and oven among other things....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back