Help with wiring Drayton timeswitch LP711

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Could somebody please help me with a wiring problem? I am replacing an old dial timeswitch with a Drayton LP711. I made a note of how the old timer was wired which was L and N from switched fused supply, L and N from boiler into the same L and N as supply with also white cable into terminal 2. Lastly room thermostat was L into terminal 1 and N into terminal 2 with the white cable. The old timer stated that 1 and 2 were the load, 3 and 4 were unused. I replicated this wiring on the Drayton LP711 so have L and N from supply and boiler, L from stat in 1(com) and N from stat and white cable from boiler in 2. I noted from the instructions that terminal 1 has no supply so looped in a cable from the L.
The outcome is the boiler turns on and off when turning the stat up or down, but it stays on when the timer turns off!! Do I need to move the cables from 2 to 3? Or do I need to split these, with one in 2 and one in 3? If so, what way round?

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Tell us more about the old timer, boiler and system; like makes and models etc

I have now wired it with the following

L N and Earth from fused supply
L N and Earth and white cable (I assume switched live) in terminal 3
Looped in Live from L to 1 (com)
L in 1 (com) and N in 2 and Earth from thermostat

The timer now works and turns on/off as programmed, but the thermostat is now not working and the heating stays on even when the stat is turned to zero!! Am I missing something simple?? Please help

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary

Yes :)
You said that the output of the timer was terminal 1 which went to the thermostat and the output of the stat went to 2 which was then the switched input to the boiler.
And then you bypassed the timer by linking terminal 1 to permanent live.

Remove that link and it sounds like you may be alright.

Laurie

Hi Laurie

I tried removing the looped in live link but this didn't work. I think I have the boiler wired in correctly but not the thermostat (Drayton combi-stat), where do the L and N of the stat go?

Gary

Hi Gary

Just found the wiring diagram on the Drayton website "draytoncontrols.co.uk/documentation"

As you say;
link L to 1
output to stat in 3
return from stat into 4
switched live to boiler into 4

try that :)
Laurie

L and N from switched fused supply, L and N from boiler into the same L and N as supply
That's OK

with also white cable into terminal 2. Lastly room thermostat was L into terminal 1 and N into terminal 2 with the white cable.
So there is a white wire from the boiler to T2 and a brown/blue (or red/black) cable from the stat to T1 and T2?

Is T4 on the old timer connected to anything, e.g a link to L?

Thanks for replies, sorry it's taken a while (have to work as well!!)

Laurie, will try your way tomorrow and see how it goes

D Hailsham, yes on the old timer T4 was looped into the L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back