help with worcester combi

thanks again evolu.
just to clarify that it does stop sparking once it goes into full gas rate.
So, would you recommend replacing circuit board?
I noticed from your previous answer that you said i could wedge it?

Sponsored Links
hi
well if its like mine and the 3 others that ive repaired it can be wedged by a strategicly placed piece of wood.lol :LOL:

the worcester boys should have put a new board on it though,and they are guaranteed to fix it,play hell with them that its still not right,dont pay again for them to NOT to fix it.
it should also be guaranteed for 12months after they have repaired it.

you need to remove the bottom cover ,3 screws,between the cb and the front plasic fascia near the middle,insert a piece of wood so that its a tight fit and very slightly pushing the cb inwards.
please make sure electrics off before doing this mod.
mines lasted over 2 years by just doing this and the others have lasted 3 years+ before acting up again.

ok thanks evolu. by reading what you have told me to do it sounds as though maybe a solder joint on the cb may have failed and the slight bending of the cb enables the solder joint to close up and operate normally, anyway i will try it and i will post back and let you know what happens.
thanks

why not resolder the joint or repair the track? :idea:

Sponsored Links
hi,give it a try and see.it worked for me and a few others.

you could remove the cb and repair but its a bit of a pain on this model,and whilst it is out you may aswell replace it for a new one.
a piece of wood is free :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

UPDATE:
Cleaned the system and refilled but not put inhibitor in yet. Still having issues as described in previous point with continued sparking even though pilot is lit.
Anyway tried evolu's solution with a bit of wood and doesnt work for me, so now im left with a dodgy circuit board. Does anybody know how i can make sure it is the cb before i fork out for a new one?
thanks

That is the very downside of pcb faults; you can only deduce, not measure.

That is the very downside of pcb faults; you can only deduce, not measure

ok thanks. Any ideas how i can be 100% sure its the pcb?

Because the flame detection is high impedance its very susceptable to any leakage path to earth!

Clean the insulator on the flame detector electrode as well as measuring the conductivity between the tip and the PCB.

If you are burning candles near the boiler then you might have fine carbon on the pcb in the area of the flame detection circuit.

Inspect and if necessary wipe with dry soft tissue ( and see if any marks appear on the tissue ).

I once went to a Sri Lankan Temple where they burnt camphor and the smoke from that had stopped the Worcester boiler from working.

There is also usually a high resistance resistor on the PCB in series with the flame detection electrode, often 1 Meg. These sometimes go open circuit or very high resistance.

Tony

thanks tony.
Clean the insulator on the flame detector electrode as well as measuring the conductivity between the tip and the PCB.

can you please explain in a bit more detail on how to go about doing this. And in relation to the spark whereabouts is the flame electrode

There is also usually a high resistance resistor on the PCB in series with the flame detection electrode, often 1 Meg. These sometimes go open circuit or very high resistance.

can you explain whereabouts on the pcb resistor is and would i need a megger to check
thanks[/quote]

I am sorry but I cannot give specific details on jobs which must be done by a competent engineer and normally one who is gas safety registered.

Use a megger if you want to, its your boiler after all, but that is likely to damage the PCB !

If you cannot do these jobs safely yourself then the obvious answer is to get a professional.

Tony

thanks again tony.

If you cannot do these jobs safely yourself then the obvious answer is to get a professional.

got the "professionals" in from worcester twice at a total cost of £440 and it still doesnt work correctly! :LOL:

?
I thought a standard repair was £220 including vat and a year's warrantee :confused:

thanks again tony.

got the "professionals" in from worcester twice at a total cost of £440 and it still doesnt work correctly! :LOL:

well they should have left you a report on both occasions with a list of parts replaced, so what did they do? I would get them back if its less than 12months since they came.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back