Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

PLEASE HELP

I've moved a radiator and when i've soldered the pipe i haven't done it properly. When I let the water into the rad. a drip apeared at the joint but now after draining the rad. I can't seam to heat the pipe up hot enough to repair it.

do I need to start again?

Sponsored Links
if the pipe has water in it (even a drop) you will not be able to get it hot enough to solder it properly. If you can't get it dry, cut it out and remake with a compression joint.

You may get away with applying some flux to the faulty joint, making sure there is no water in there and resoldering - but I think its best to remove the faulty coupling by heating it up and twisting it off (wear gloves) and installing a new one....there will be a solder residue on the pipe from the first attempt but reheat the thing and wipe it away.
Install the new coupling with plenty of flux after cleaning everything up (heating causes oxides on the copper pipe) and give it another go - with the solder dipped in flux for good measure.
Always solder both sides of the coupling joint at the same time.
You could also use a compression joint if you prefer, but any solder high spots will need to be removed first.....your choice.
John :)

Trouble is that the water that got into the joint won't be entirely clean. Best bet is to dissassemble and start again.

Sponsored Links
if the pipes all drained no reason why you shouldn't be able to redo the joint.
what blowtorch are you using one of the cheapos from bq ?

Yeah it is a cheap one although i've had no touble before really i think its called go gas?

ok on general soldering but as for wet pipes and resoldering joints no good.

in the trade we useally use mapp gas etc burns alot hotter.
so wet pipes not a issue.

imagesjbn.jpg

Thanks a lot.

:oops:

it definately looks more up to the job than what ive got they say you get what you pay for. looks like ill be dismantling it then.

thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back