Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several years ago I agreed that my teen daughter could decorate her room with designs, drawings, poems etc. (Well it kept her out of mischief and she's artistic.) She has grown out of this and decided to decorate. She had done the designs with permanent marker. Money is tight so she used paint we had. First wall- dulux once, she panicked when she saw it wasn't covering and just kept piling it on. Result-a rock hard very bumpy mess with some marker still bleeding through. Second wall - dulux once put on in thinner layers allowing to dry between.- result-all marker bleeding through. Third wall (after her confession of the mess she'd made and some research)- vinsser stainkiller- result dramatic smudging and original drawing still bleeding through. Now all this has only been done where there was drawing so in addition we have patches of the original light blue to add to the overall effect. Any chance of a cheap and quick solution to our considerable woes? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I would imagine an oil based stain-stopper on the problem areas rolled on with a small roller would cover it. Then a couple of good coats of good quality paint.

For the lumpy wall, an electric sander and a solid day using it sounds like the cheapest fix! Then stain stopper and painting the same as the other walls.

I would imagine an oil based stain-stopper on the problem areas rolled on with a small roller would cover it. Then a couple of good coats of good quality paint.

For the lumpy wall, an electric sander and a solid day using it sounds like the cheapest fix! Then stain stopper and painting the same as the other walls.
Thank you so much for the advice. I shall do as you suggest.

Noo, daughter does as suggested... you watch.
Lol

Sponsored Links
I did consider that solution but after watching a few YouTube demos on papering I decided it was beyond me.

Envisage a scene from a slapstick comedy involving wall-paper and paste and there you have it. Thanks anyway. The room is now in an acceptable state which is pretty impressive considering how it was this time yesterday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back