Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this forum is suitable for someone like me; ie someone who knows absolutely zilch about plumbing, but I would really appreciate some help.

Have got an intermittent leak which seems to be coming from the direction of the bathroom/airing cupboard. The leak takes the form of a patch coming through the ceiling below and running down the utility room wall.

What is strange is that it appears to stop once I switch off water and doesn't generally start up again once I switch water on again. However, I was away for a couple of days over the last weekend and it had started again. I asked my local plumber to come in and have a look and his verdict was not very conclusive. He thought it may have been coming from the side of the shower screen (so he put some more sealant on it) but thought it more likely to be coming from the cylinder in the airing cupboard (which is very corroded and old). I gather that it would be quite expensive to replace this and therefore asked if it would solve the problem if I went for a new combi boiler, in view of the great age of the system. He was more than happy to go with this idea but I am just a bit worried that this is not the cause of the problem and that I could end up with a new boiler and still have the leak! I cannot see or feel any wetness in the airing cupboard.

Please could someone offer any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem as I just don't know what to do. (To make things even worse I have now broken my ankle!) :(

Sponsored Links
dont use shower and see if it happens, check all pipes for any signs of wet around the boiler etc and for drips below if possible ussual common sense stuff, especailly for signs of water damage inside of airing cupboard as this may indicate the problem above floor level so it reducing the possibility beofre paying for anything expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back