Gas leak help

Surely if its an internal leak i would smell it in house?

Internal leak means anything downstream of the meter. You won't necessarily smell it.

Could it possibly be the meter that has a leak?
unlikely.

All his done is turned gas off and capped it off so cant be used

That's pretty safe then innit? :rolleyes:.

They are an emergency response. Responsible solely for upstream pipe work and safe isolation of domestic properties.

YOU are responsible for the maintenence and repair of YOUR pipes.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Go to gas safe register website and search your local area and make some phone calls. Explain the situation and away you go.

Sponsored Links
dan620684, good evening.

Sorry! but as previous posts.

The responsibility for leaks up to the meter on the incoming supply side of that meter is a problem that will be rectified by your utility provider.

OK.

Now if there is a Gas Leak after the meter, that is from the Meter into your Property [no matter where the Meter is situated] is down to you to sort out, no iffs or buts about it, in effect that is the law! that is the way things are!

Your suppliers Engineer who has cut of your gas supply has in all probability saved your life and the lives of your family?

As previously posted above.
1/. Do you have any sort of "Agreement" with a utility supplier where you can get this provider to, say undertake a boiler service [once a year minimum?]
2/. If there is no such provision for the above then you MUST! [No Skimping] find a "Gas Safe Registered" Engineer to sort out your internal leak.

As above it is the Law ? ? ? that only a "Gas Safe Registered Engineer" dan work on an internal gas supply and in your case a potential Leak.

If you still need convincing try Googling "Gas Explosions" ???

Sorry if I appear somewhat "brutal" BUT?

Simple answer do NOT take any short cuts with a Gas leak

Ken

To be fair, I don't think the OP had any intention of diy.... But I sense his arse is twitching at the potential cost, and possibility of being without gas for a week or two.

How has he made an internal leak safe? All his done is turned gas off and capped it off so cant be used. Surely if its an internal leak i would smell it in house?(had the smell for a bit. But the smell is just confined to the outside cupboard the meter is in. The meter is an old dial type no digital display type. Could it possibly be the meter that has a leak?

I agree with you that it's odd, but if they've capped the gas meter off, and the smell has gone, then the leak had to be after the meter, and it could have been the joint out of the meter, but that would still be you're responsibility Im afraid.

The last gas leak we went on the hunt for was a 1.5mbar drop on a modest size system.

However, the smell was caused by a dead cat behind the kitchen cupboard under the hob of all places.

The dilemma then arose as to whether we should go looking for the 1.5mbar leak which is within permissible limits "with appliances connected and no reported smell of gas".

Total ball ache that call was.... It's surprisingly hard to responsibly dispose of a dead feline in central London....

It wasn't even the bloody customer's cat FFS :LOL:

To be fair, I don't think the OP had any intention of diy.... But I sense his arse is twitching at the potential cost, and possibility of being without gas for a week or two.
No i dont have intention of doing anything myself. Just dread thinking of the cost as my Home insurance dont seem to cover Trace and access from what i can see.
Being without gas aint an issue luckily i have an immersion heater i can get hot water from.

You could save a lot of money by making it easier for an engineer to follow the gas pipe, although most of us tend to start at the appliances and any capped off fittings.

If you've got hot water, then you should be able to cope until someone comes in that isn't going to be at emergency rates, and if you're lucky the job won't be that bad, but it's just something that you've got to deal with. Obviously, home insurance only kicks in after a gas expolsion, so hopefully, you'll never get to that stage.

OP: Use the link below to find nearest engineers.Phone them.They wont be able to give you a fixed price but, IMO, it is fair for you to ask HOW they charge: i.e., attendance /initial diagnostic/callout out charges - hourly rate - minimum charges - rounding up to the next hour - payment method and terms. o they carry a gas "sniffer"? - do they carry materials, or will you get lumped for time visiting merchants to pick up a couple of fittings. Listen carefully to what they say, and don't say :) Legally, all cost should be quote including VAT, but many tradesmen are poor at understanding such requirements, so check.
IMO most trades are honest, and most disputes stem from a lack of clarity on both parties.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

He will have done a pressure test on the pipework downstream of the meter. If this test fails, (which it has, showing there is a leak), he is legally bound to cap the supply at the meter to make it safe. This prevents any gas from getting past the meter, and ultimately leaking into the property. Highly unlikely the meter is leaking.

You need to find a Gas Safe engineer, to come and check the gas pipework, and appliances in the property, trace and fix the leak, and only then, once it passes a pressure test, can the supply legally be reinstated. This is for yours, and everyone else's safety.

Edit. That'll teach me to fall asleep and come back to the thread. Apologies if I've repeated anything anyone else has said, put that repsonse up and suddenly a load more posts popped up!

Thats fantastic, Thanks for all your comments. Luckily there a 5 companies/people on the Gas safe register who live on the same estate so ill try contacting them in the morning.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back