Gas leak help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone can help me?
I have just had SGN come round to check as i smelt gas in my outside cupboard. He come checked all the pipework in the cupboard and from the meter into the house and said there was not a leak coming from these pipes. He left paperwork it says internal pipework leaking. (enclosed in picture) and made the meter safe.
It says "immediatly dangerous"
I have young kids in the house and cant use cooker/heating or get hot water.

I want to know how i would go about finding someone to fix/find the problem. Would i be required to pay for a repair/fix? Would this be covered by EDF who are my gas supplier

Attachments

• 20170917_204651.jpg
    20170917_204651.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 149
Sponsored Links
I want to know how i would go about finding someone to fix/find the problem

Look on the Gas Safe Web site or ask a neighbour for a recommendation.

Would this be covered by EDF who are my gas supplier

No.

I have young kids in the house and cant use cooker/heating or get hot water.

They won't care. Bung a jumper on them and send them to bed with some marmite on toast.

Would i be required to pay for a repair/fix?

Of course you will.

If the leak is internal, (i.e. past the meter), then it's your responsibility to sort it out. You need to find an engineer qualified to work on gas, to identify and repair the leak. If you have any type of boiler breakdown cover it might be worth asking if this is covered, otherwise I'm afraid its up to you to foot the bill.

If the leak is internal, (i.e. past the meter), then it's your responsibility to sort it out. You need to find an engineer qualified to work on gas, to identify and repair the leak. If you have any type of boiler breakdown cover it might be worth asking if this is covered, otherwise I'm afraid its up to you to foot the bill.

He checked the pipework from the meter into the house and said there were no leak from the meter into the house.
He the went on saying about pipework that goes into the ground/floor. (What are these ones) Am i liable for these ones?

Sponsored Links
To cut long story short he only searched the pipework from the meter into the house and nothing else.
The wife just said she was listening and the guy said i will need to get someone in to trace the leak.

The paper work says internal leak and made safe which would be switch off the gas at the meter.

You need a gas engineer to come and find the internal leak which you will pay for unless you have some form of cover/insurance for this.

To cut long story short he only searched the pipework from the meter into the house and nothing else.
The wife just said she was listening and the guy said i will need to get someone in to trace the leak.

That's all he's responsible for.

It's YOUR gas pipe that's the problem, not theirs. So you're responsible for paying for it. Unless, as said, you have some sort of insurance. Be wary of anyone who can attend the job at a drop of a hat. Anyone half decent is going to be busy this time of year. Emergency response type firms will be bloody expensive.

The paper work says internal leak and made safe which would be switch off the gas at the meter.

You need a gas engineer to come and find the internal leak which you will pay for unless you have some form of cover/insurance for this.
How has he made an internal leak safe? All his done is turned gas off and capped it off so cant be used. Surely if its an internal leak i would smell it in house?(had the smell for a bit. But the smell is just confined to the outside cupboard the meter is in. The meter is an old dial type no digital display type. Could it possibly be the meter that has a leak?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back